Unable to Move, Copy, Delete, Edit Files After Photorec

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
wesphoto

Unable to Move, Copy, Delete, Edit Files After Photorec

#1 Post by wesphoto »

HI,

I am super thankful for this program as it has saved about 400 photos from my daughters 1st birthday. However, I am pretty much useless when it comes to Terminal (I'm a Mac user).

I am unable to move files to another drive, copy files, or even open files within the root user. The files are there and I can preview them by pressing spacebar, but I am unable to do anything else with the files. I have no idea how to use Terminal to change ownership of the files, but I found a way to change the ownership by using 'Get Info' and then using the settings icon--change the owner to 'root (Me)' But I am still unable to edit the files in any way or transfer them to an external drive. I also changed the owner to my normal user but to no avail, I still cannot access the files in any way other than to preview them with spacebar.

I have copied the provided language (not even sure if that's the right word.. but you get the point) into terminal and changed the user to my name and the root user but it just says 'no such file or directory'. Again, I am useless when it comes to Terminal.

Could anyone walk me through that process or have any other options for me to try? The files are there and seem to be undamaged, but I cannot access them in any way.

Here is all of the info that I know to give:

I am running Mac OS Mojave, I used Photorec 7.2 under a root user, I am now in the root user and trying to move the photos over to an external hard drive but finder freezes and I have to force quit it.

Can anyone help please?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Move, Copy, Delete, Edit Files After Photorec

#2 Post by cgrenier »

In a Terminal, use 'id' to learn your username and usergroup.
As root, you can change the ownership using

Code: Select all

chown -R username:groupname recup_dir.*

wesphoto

Re: Unable to Move, Copy, Delete, Edit Files After Photorec

#3 Post by wesphoto »

Okay, so I have now done what you said, replaced my username and my usergroup in the given command. I am still having the same issue, when I try to transfer the images to an external it comes up and says 'Preparing to transfer' but then it just remains on that for hours (I let it try for 5 hours). I then have to quit finder because it just gets stuck doing that. The computer doesn't freeze, but finder does. I tried changing the owner to the root user as well as my normal user, but I still do not have access to do anything with the files.

I don't know if there are any more steps that I need to take, but any help would be appreciated!