PhotoRec going back to earlier sectors - is this a bug or intended behaviour? Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Hashim

PhotoRec going back to earlier sectors - is this a bug or intended behaviour?

#1 Post by Hashim »

I have a question about how PhotoRec (7.2 WIP) works that seems to come up a lot in the forums but I still haven't managed to find a direct answer to. When I run PhotoRec on my 2TB disk, it sometimes seems as if the recovery is in a loop - it will suddenly reset and then go back to an earlier sector number. Analysing this behaviour with screen capture software shows that it will keep doing this, slowly increasing the highest sector that it gets to, before it eventually resets again.

I know how to solve the issue, by skipping the photorec.ses file, but the question that I am yet to find a definitive answer to is whether this behaviour of going back to an earlier sector is part of PhotoRec's intended behaviour. Is it going back to recover more data and/or finish off partially recovered files, or is it just a bug? Knowing the answer to this would help to make an informed decision on whether it's worth letting PhotoRec continue doing this to potentially recover more files or to just avoid wasting time and skip ahead a few sectors.

DaddyKool

Re: PhotoRec going back to earlier sectors - is this a bug or intended behaviour?

#2 Post by DaddyKool »

I have the same kind of problem.
It seems to be stuck at a certain section. Did you find any solution?
Is it possible to run Photorec from a given section, let's say the section it stopped plus a couple?

I was trying to recover my HDD disk: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB
It stopped around 20% of the sectors. I'm currently graduating so I would really like to have my data back ;)

Kind regards,
DK

DaddyKool

Re: PhotoRec going back to earlier sectors - is this a bug or intended behaviour?

#3 Post by DaddyKool »

He!

I found out what works, was posted in an other post.
See the following topic: viewtopic.php?t=5902