Cannot "see" files copied from failing NTFS drive to ext4 drive

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
helix

Cannot "see" files copied from failing NTFS drive to ext4 drive

#1 Post by helix »

Hello!

I am using TestDisk in Ubuntu 18.04 to copy a directory of files (about 22,000 files, mostly photos and a few videos) from a failing NTFS-formatted hard disk (it ran Windows 10; I can't boot it anymore but I can still see file system via TestDisk) to the physically separate working ext4-formatted hard disk in the same computer. I am able to copy the directory using TestDisk from the failing hard drive over to the working hard drive, but I cannot "see" the copied folders and files in the Ubuntu file directory. I set the copied file destination as the "Documents" folder on the Ubuntu drive. TestDisk appears to successfully complete the file copying, and I can see that the amount of stored data on the working hard drive has changed by approximately the amount you would expect from having copied the files... I just cannot see the files.

What could be the problem? How might I be able to see these files on the Ubuntu drive so I can get them off the device completely, secured and redundantly backed-up? If more information is needed to diagnose this problem, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you in advance for any kind attention you can provide.

helix

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Cannot "see" files copied from failing NTFS drive to ext4 drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The destination directory may be owned by root instead of your usual user, so you may need to use <code>chown -R username:usergroup directory</code> to change it.

helix

Re: Cannot "see" files copied from failing NTFS drive to ext4 drive

#3 Post by helix »

This was my exact problem and your solution worked. I was able to find the missing files. Thank you so much!