splitting file problem

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
brad4ever

splitting file problem

#1 Post by brad4ever »

hi
i have tried to recover video .ts file but photorec split them in thousand file of 65 kb
mpg file recovered instead have the correct size (also above 1gb)
do you have any solution ?is there any setting that i lost ?

for your information,launching photorec this step http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File:Pho ... t_type.png is not shown

thanks for your help

ps: all in 1TB disk mounted with ext4 fs on qnap nas

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: splitting file problem

#2 Post by cgrenier »

brad4ever wrote:hi
i have tried to recover video .ts file but photorec split them in thousand file of 65 kb
mpg file recovered instead have the correct size (also above 1gb)
do you have any solution ?is there any setting that i lost ?
Can the mpg file be played without problem ?
If it's the case, can you send me a small .ts file recorded by the same video setup ?
brad4ever wrote: for your information,launching photorec this step http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File:Pho ... t_type.png is not shown
I have updated the wiki. This screen isn't displayed by default since PhotoRec 6.13.

Christophe

brad4ever

#3 Post by brad4ever »

thanks for reply :)

no, last night I realized that file mpg are not shown well .is as if they lost frames of audio and video.

Then I relaunched photorec without ts extension .. only mkv,mpg and mov; it doesn't create thousand of 65k file ,but it has created some very very large mpg (150 GB , 40 GB,17GB etc...) .i've tested one file that seem to have right dimension and seems it is watchable ; I have't had time to try the huge files.

another report and preamble:
I had to retrieve the files because I switched from the qnap signle drive to raid 5. when the process is finished a shared folder (only one) did not contain more data .

yesterday i launched recover as many types of files in addition to other video files on raid 5 partition ,and it has recover many file with the problem of many 65k file and occupying 300/400 gb on usb disk.
last night ,for test, i have relaunched recovery only on first disk of the raid (the original drive that contains data) and it come another time with the 65k problem (mov,mpg,mkv an ts extension) ;since I stopped the recover after 2 hours i don't know how much space would occupy at the end of the process .
After that I repeated the process again on the first disk of the raid (only with mkv, mpg, mov, as reported at the beginning of the replay) and I had to stop (below 50%) this morning because he was entirely occupied by the external drive 500gb .

sorry if I have not mentioned before the reasons for the recovery.
I'm trying to do something impossible (to recover a loss after a shift from single disk to raid) or is there some hope?

thanks

ps:sorry for my english

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

If you run PhotoRec on a single disk from the RAID device, no fragment bigger than the RAID chunk size will be correct.
You need to run PhotoRec against the RAID device.