Can't find my USB key in photorec to save files HELP! Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tns4life

Can't find my USB key in photorec to save files HELP!

#1 Post by tns4life »

I have an asus laptop which the harddrive is really messed up on :( it isn't recognizable through a lot of programs and anything I run on it says it isn't partitioned and any forum I have been on hasn't known what to do. I finally found photorec because I wanted to get about 500 extremely important pictures off of there. I can boot up photo rec just fine, and it recognizes my hard drive and the usb key attached, so I hit enter on my harddrive because that is what I want to search, then when It says which partition would you like to search the only thing that comes up is unrecognized partition, but I can still hit enter to try to start a search on it. Then I set up all my settings the way I want them, however when I get to the part where it says where would you like to save the files, I cannot find my usb key under any directory there. I have searched every folder that I can look in and my usb key wont show up. PLEASE HELP

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Can't find my USB key in photorec to save files HELP!

#2 Post by cgrenier »

tns4life

#3 Post by tns4life »

While I appreciate the answer, I have read through all of photorec's help and step by step guides. I am not that dumb :lol: I have tried everything and no matter what I do I cannot find a usb. However, the strange thing is, it recognizes it when I have to choose what drive to do the recovery on. Any ideas?

P.S. sorry about the late response, I have been swamped with school and work

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

What is the filesystem used on your USB key and under which OS are you using PhotoRec ?

tns4life

#5 Post by tns4life »

Can't remember what type of file system the usbkey is, but what is the best? Because I can format it. And I am running it on windows 8 computer, but I can try it on windows 7 if that will help

tns4life

#6 Post by tns4life »

Figured out it was a corrupt usb drive as well. FML haha. Thank you very much for support. I appreciate all of the work that you put in! It was under /mnt when I put in a working usb drive for anyone viewing this later. Thanks again!