No access to files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mymusic

No access to files

#1 Post by mymusic »

Thank-you very much for Testdisk supurb piece of work , I managed to recover everything off a USB Stick , Mostly my Jimmy Barnes rarities cd's , But now I cannot delete the other music that I don't need copies of . Access has being denied , the files on the USB are from my previous machine and I am now running Ubuntu 13.04 on a new machine with different login paswords etc etc . How can I ever get access to the other files ( I already found else-where ) to delete them as I don't need two copies of Faskil's Albums or any other album ,. Please can some-one please help me unlock these duplicate files ? ,I would like to delete the xtra files but not sure how to unlock them
Attachments
this is problem.png
this is problem.png (109.83 KiB) Viewed 5747 times

theancientone

Re: No access to files

#2 Post by theancientone »

Did you try some commands?

For example:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 777 /location/to/files/music.mp3
Or in case of a folder / directory:

sudo chmod -R 777 /location/to/files/music.mp3

mymusic

#3 Post by mymusic »

Thanks for replying so quickly I did do some commands and got the files back into my system ,that was good , now those files are in the home folder and still will not move , copy ,cut , rubbish bin or delete to any where because " it " says I am not the owner ,ok I can handle that the files were from my other machine that has totally expired ,ok ,Do you know of a way to change ownership in terminal of those old files ? Or is it a dead end ? Please excuse the puns but I do have stop me ripping out my hair . Also most of the recovery was done just on the pre sets setting on the programe menu , nothing fancy or silly added to Testdisk just ran with it the way it was , is , I still think it's a great program and the problems I'm having is more from me , than Testdisk ,it did fine ,just so frustrating to find some hard to get rare music and not be able to access it , OK OK I should stop typing and let someone answer , Do you know of a way to change ownership in terminal of those old files ? Thanks in advance to anyone who has an answer .

theancientone

#4 Post by theancientone »

If I'm not mistaken then you could try this:

sudo chown -R <current_username> /location/to/where/directory/is/
If you want or need to know more about the chown command then you can use:

man chown
Press q on the keyboard to quit and exit the manual.

mymusic

#5 Post by mymusic »

OK will give that lot of commands a try and let yuo know how it goes ,thanks for the advice hope it goes good

mymusic

Re: No access to files # SOLVED

#6 Post by mymusic »

Alrighty this is fixed , solved and answered , and a big Thank you to "theancientone " and so that's where I go to change ownership , very smart , it is all the commands I will need to fix this ,they come up , just have to work out all that " man chown " just have to put in the correctly , learning new computing stuff at my age heh , sadly it will not be in the next day or two , medical reason's it will get done that's for sure ,, Thank you and all the best .

theancientone

#7 Post by theancientone »

If you want to learn then you can use the man command. The command man stands for manual so not only chown much more commands have this manual.