External 1TB WD hard drive cannot be read in Windows 7/8 Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
andreavda

External 1TB WD hard drive cannot be read in Windows 7/8

#1 Post by andreavda »

Hey guys, unfortunately I've got an issue with one of my hard drives, luckily I backup on a daily basis, yet I didn't backup the files of this hard drive since they are of secondary importance to me, however I miss some of the files I had on this hard drive, it's a Western Digital 1TB My book mirror edition external hard drive.

Even though it was a mirror edition I had only one volume, 1TB. (western digital encourages you to turn it into a mirror so that you get two volumes, however the real storage space would be 500GB since the secondary volume is just a backup).

Today I plugged it in and windows told me that there are some errors with the unit, he asked me to either analyze and correct the errors or to continue without analyzing, I selected "analyze and correct", then windows told me that in order to keep going with the analyzing process he had to restore the unit, so I clicked on "restore" because I was confident it was the right thing to do and because windows didn't tell me that all the files would be deleted from the hard drive.
Unfortunately the restore process didn't end, it got stuck, and so here I am, I cannot access the hard drive from windows, and I don't know what to do.
I downloaded Recuva, and I was very pleased to see that recuva could see all of my folders and files in the hard drive, however Recuva's purpose is to restore deleted files, not files that have errors.
Please guys, if you know what can I do in order to get the hard drive back up and running, without further damaging files and folders, tell me.

Here I posted the screenshots of testdisk:

When I'm in "My Computer" and double-click on the hard drive it says:
"It's impossible to access to D:\
Access denied."

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: External 1TB WD hard drive cannot be read in Windows 7/8

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run "cmd" (right-click Run as Administrator), "chkdsk /f D:". Next you may need to take file ownership to be able to access this volume.

andreavda

Re: External 1TB WD hard drive cannot be read in Windows 7/8

#3 Post by andreavda »

cgrenier wrote:Run "cmd" (right-click Run as Administrator), "chkdsk /f D:". Next you may need to take file ownership to be able to access this volume.
thank you very much, that worked like a charm :-) you're so awesome, tu es fabuleux