Classify/Order Recovered Files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cyrex

Classify/Order Recovered Files

#1 Post by cyrex »

Hello to all. Thank you for an excellent tool for file recovery. I use it when somebody makes a mistake deleting something.

I have used foremost and compared to photorec. For what I have seen photorec can recover not only more files but more formats. There is only one problem. Recovering files in photorec creates many recup_dir folders and in foremost there is a folder for each format recovered. This saves time for looking for specific types of files or knowing where to look.

Can a feature be added to the next version that makes it so photorec creates folders depending on the formatof the file. Here is an image of foremost after checking a hard drive:

cyrex

Re: Classify/Order Recovered Files

#2 Post by cyrex »

An enhanced idea over the one that foremost uses would be to include categories. For example, foremost has a jpg folder for jpg files and a gif folder for gif files. This repeats for png files and any other picture files. A category could form from this called images. So a folder called images would be the parent of all image folders, something like:

/images
/images/png
/images/jpg

That way the user know where all images are. Same goes for document files. autocad files, photoshop template files, office xls, docx, etc.. document files in general could go into a documents folder of office folder. Formats that are generally used by users in work environments.

Same goes for a sound file with only sound formats (no mp4 but only mp3, since mp4 would be a video file like avi, mkv and others).

A category system would help in finding a little bit quicker the information and be able to see it classified in a better way than foremost.

With all the formats already supported in photorec, this would again help in sorting the output.

wahyuadi

Re: Classify/Order Recovered Files

#3 Post by wahyuadi »

Cyrex,

I have got that itch too and scratch it at https://github.com/wahyuadi/classify-recup
Hope it helps.

Thanks.