PhotoRec takes too much time with large disks?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
JoanBotella

PhotoRec takes too much time with large disks?

#1 Post by JoanBotella »

Hello.

I'm trying to recover data from a 2TB hard disk using PhotoRec 6.14 in a Linux Mint 16 computer. The process started three days ago, and the program guesses a total time of 115 hours, then. In few minutes, the total lowered to 55 hours. Two days ago, the total was still 55, yesterday was 75 and today is 95 hours. The program is effectively recovering files, but the recovery rate is aproaching to zero, and half of the total sectors are still not checked.

Is this behaviour normal? Do I need to apply some config for large disks, or something?

I also would like to know if there is some way of pausing the recovery process and resuming it later, or for starting from a specified sector.

Thanks for your time.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: PhotoRec takes too much time with large disks?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You can pause the recovery, even stop it, and restart it at a later time.
If your disk contains bad sectors, the I/O performance drops. Have you seen read error messages ?

JoanBotella

Re: PhotoRec takes too much time with large disks?

#3 Post by JoanBotella »

I've stopped the process. The recovering rate became zero, approx.
cgrenier wrote:You can pause the recovery, even stop it, and restart it at a later time.
How can I do that? The only option I have during the recovery is to "stop". The program doesn't remember the last sector recovered between runs, even reloading the previous session.
cgrenier wrote:If your disk contains bad sectors, the I/O performance drops. Have you seen read error messages ?
No bad sectors were reported by PhotoRec.

Thanks for your answers.