Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
aligator638

Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk?

#1 Post by aligator638 »

Hello,

Like many people, I made the mistake to try to extend a partition on my RAID5 drive (hardware) and ended up with a dynamic disk I do not want and would like to revert to basic disk and standard partions. I found out about TestDisk, and would like to know if this is the right tools for the job.

One of the problem I see is my F: partition is split in two areas of the disk. will converting back to basic "consolidate" it into one basic partition ?

Do I need to shrink (by removing some file and using the windows disk manager to shrink it) back F: (I can backup L: T: to an USB drive temporarily) such a way that it becomes contiguous before using testDisk ?

OS is Windows 7 x 64 (so TestDisk x32, I guess ?)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (46.69 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Thanks for your input,

Eric

Fiona

Re: Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk?

#2 Post by Fiona »

It's possible to convert an accidentally converted disk, back to basic/MBR-disk
But testdisk won't consolidate any partition back.
In case it's recommeded to backup your data first.
If your data from your F-Partition are not accessible, you can have a try to list your data using testdisk and copy them.
MBR partition structur can only contain 4 primary partition or 3 primary and 1 extended for your logical partitions.

Please repeat your diagnose and copy and paste the content of your testdisk.log into your next post.
Intel-MBR doesn't support any spanned or splitted volume.
That's why a backup of all data from your spanned or splitted partition is recommended.

Fiona