Wiped out my harddrive using dd

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
pda1

Wiped out my harddrive using dd

#1 Post by pda1 »

I just used dd to make an image of a 16g flash drive (sdb) to my big external hard drive (sdc) and wiped out over 350g of data on sdc.

The command I used was dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

sdb was only 16g from a flash drive.

I use the terms "wiped" out as I don't know what else to call it. I could say that the partition where the data was formerly isn't there anymore.

The sdc drive is still accessible but says it only has 16g of data on it. Obviously the old files aren't present.

Please, please, please....someone...help me recover the data!!!!!

pda1

Re: Wiped out my harddrive using dd

#2 Post by pda1 »

Update-

No solution.

Tried Testdisk but it solved nothing.

I'm not a computer expert so the command line stuff is very formidable and confusing.

I surely wish someone had written and easy to follow guide on how to solve this sort of problem for dopes like me. Yes, I did follow the "step-by-step" procedure.

pda1

Re: Wiped out my harddrive using dd

#3 Post by pda1 »

Conclusion- failure

Tried- Seagate File Recovery (try before you buy) and it said the drive should be sent in to their lab$$$.

On the good side- there were backups of everything except some critical DVDs that I'll have to copy back to the new hard drive.

I once read, "Linux assumes you know what you're doing".

Obviously, I didn't.

I'm leaving the messed up drive alone in the event someone comes up with an idea on how to recover the stuff. Sort of like the idea of those dopes that, after they die, are put into cryogenic capsules in the hope they can be revived in the future and that the cause of their death can be reversed.

Photorec? I used it for 8 hours yesterday. For whatever reason it didn't look at the entire drive. Just the existing allocated partition which only contained useless photos.

Really wish I understood Testdisk.