undeleting directories

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
galamartin

undeleting directories

#1 Post by galamartin »

Hi
I am trying to recover around 20.000 files I have unwillingly deleted from an external disk, with ExFat filesystem. Testdisk/photorec correctly finds everything there, great. However, I am not able to select the whole deleted tree I want to copy/recover on my disk, instead I am forced to search and 'select' any single file by hand, then copy it on my hard-drive from the external disk. The tree is quite complicated, like several subdirectories, it is impossible to recover it all manually.

To put it short
-I see all the files (using the 'P' option) I have recently deleted from the external disk
-I can navigate in the file tree I have deleted, and select files (not directories) one by one, select them (with 'a' command) and copy them to my hard drive (C command).
-I cannot select one or several folders at a time, then copy them to my hard drive.

Can anyone help with the last point or give me any other idea how to do it? External disk is 2TB, internal disk is 500Gb (so I cannot copy everything by brute force), I am trying to recover around 200Gb of data. I use debian, but can switch to MacOS.

Thanks everybody for help, and the developers for this great software.

TestdiskForTheWin

Re: undeleting directories

#2 Post by TestdiskForTheWin »

This is weird.You should be able to copy all filees and directories simultaneously.You cna try selecting a single directory.
What version are you using? Maybe try the newest 7.0 Work In Progress?

galamartin

#3 Post by galamartin »

I solves the issue indeed. Quite a few files were corrupted, and many few files with non-ascii names needed some care.

Thanks

TestdiskForTheWin

#4 Post by TestdiskForTheWin »

galamartin wrote:I solves the issue indeed. Quite a few files were corrupted, and many few files with non-ascii names needed some care.

Thanks
How did you fix corrupted files (none of fix corrupt archive programs I've tried work)

galamartin

#5 Post by galamartin »

Of course corrupted files were lost. Well, actually it is unclear to me why they were corrupted, just I was not able to recover them. On the other hand, I meant that files with non-ascii names (but not corrupted) were not retrieved easily. I had to try each one of them manually, and 'copy (not move) a copy' of the file to a new ascii name :cry: