Partition Lost

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tarsle14

Partition Lost

#1 Post by tarsle14 »

Hi,

I have Windows and Ubuntu on my laptop, and some other partitions. I want to make the Ubuntu partition to be bigger, so I resize a partition just before Ubuntu yesterday using gparted to be very small (1MB), and allocate the free space to Ubuntu. After that, I cannot boot the PC anymore (it saying something about grub rescue)

I try to use testdisk to recover this problem. When I get the list of the partitions, I see two Linux partitions there, and two Windows OS, both having different sizes. And some other partitions. These partitions have no label (such as L, P, D, etc.)

I changed one of the windows OS partition to primary, and then restart..it doesn't boot. Then I use testdisk again, now I can only see fewer partitions! Those partitions without the label disappear. I am afraid that I have used the testdisk to create a new partition table, so all previous partitions have been overwritten.

Is it possible to recover all those partitions? I am running deep search now, but so far I have only gotten three partitions..