Please help w/internal storage HDD & new issues (partition?)

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ostrichsak

Please help w/internal storage HDD & new issues (partition?)

#1 Post by ostrichsak »

I'm running Win7 64-bit & use WMC to serve up live TV as well as DVR programs & downloaded videos & movies. This setup has been running fine for years with a couple of upgrades (larger) to my secondary drive that houses all this data. Within the last couple of months I installed a WD Red 3TB after scanning it and have been going on with my usual activities w/o any issue. Last night I rebooted after a MS pop-up asked me to in order to complete recent updates. After rebooting I noticed that my secondary storage drive (E:) was no longer listed on my capacity widget on the desktop. I opened My Computer and was surprised to see it listed as a new volume with the drive letter E: still but it won't let me do anything other than format at this time. I downloaded and ran TestDisk for the first time and have a few screen grabs & was hoping someone here who knows more about this sort of thing can help me out. It seems as though the partition might have become corrupt and therefore all my data isn't seen by the OS. Can someone look at these screen captures (sorry I accidentally deleted the first one but it said something to the effect of "partition doesn't have the endmark 0xaa55" and a few other errors. I'm not sure how important those were but if they're critical to solving this I can start running this again to get the exact words needed. Otherwise here's a screen grab upon completion of each step posted below and the last one is where it sits now. Hopefully someone can tell me which step to take next in an attempt to recover/repair the corrupt partition if that's possible at this point.

Thanks!
Attachments
TestDiskResults4.jpg
TestDiskResults4.jpg (68.83 KiB) Viewed 3697 times
TestDiskResults3.jpg
TestDiskResults3.jpg (61.74 KiB) Viewed 3697 times
TestDiskResults2.jpg
TestDiskResults2.jpg (56.07 KiB) Viewed 3697 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Please help w/internal storage HDD & new issues (partiti

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Sorry but I need a screenshot of the Analyse results or a copy of the content of testdisk.log file.

ostrichsak

#3 Post by ostrichsak »

cgrenier wrote:Sorry but I need a screenshot of the Analyse results or a copy of the content of testdisk.log file.
Is that the very first results I got before these three that I accidentally deleted the screenshot of? What should I do next as I'm literally still sitting at the screen in the bottom picture I posted.

ostrichsak

#4 Post by ostrichsak »

I've got my backup 2TB drive installed now and while it has the bulk of the data there is still some more recent data on the 3TB that I don't yet have backed up. I have ordered a 2nd 3TB HDD that I plan to install in order to keep a nightly backup just in case one of them fails but if I can rebuild or recover the partition in order to access all of my existing data in order to get a current backup on the new HDD that would be super swell. I'm going to start the scan again as I'm pretty sure that first screen grab is the one you want. As soon as it's done I'll post it up so hopefully someone can offer me some more guidance since I'm venturing into uncharted territory for myself. Thanks!

ostrichsak

#5 Post by ostrichsak »

Okay, starting from the beginning... here is the first screen I get. Which option should I choose? The 3TB drive in the list is the one in question so should I do the third option for physicaldrive2 or should I do the 6th option for Drive N?
Attachments
TestDiskResults2-1.jpg
TestDiskResults2-1.jpg (80.7 KiB) Viewed 3654 times

ostrichsak

#6 Post by ostrichsak »

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#7 Post by cgrenier »

Select PhysicalDrive2

ostrichsak

#8 Post by ostrichsak »

cgrenier wrote:Select PhysicalDrive2
And which one now? I assume the 1st one since this is a Win7 environment. I just want to make sure I do it 100% right this time each step of the way. I've got my new 2nd 3TB HDD sitting here too so I can recover the data to it if need be and then rebuild this first drive but if there's a way to recover or rebuild the partition of this drive and keep all my data it would make life a lot easier.
Attachments
TestDiskResults2-2.jpg
TestDiskResults2-2.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 3631 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

#9 Post by cgrenier »

EFI GPT is the correct choice. After that, choose Analyse, Quick Search and Deeper Search if your partition isn't listed.
Please post a screenshot of each step.

ostrichsak

#10 Post by ostrichsak »

cgrenier wrote:EFI GPT is the correct choice. After that, choose Analyse, Quick Search and Deeper Search if your partition isn't listed.
Please post a screenshot of each step.
Okay, analyzing now. I'll post a screen shot of the results as soon as it's done.