Recovering files in a huge folder

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
christopherb

Recovering files in a huge folder

#1 Post by christopherb »

First--I have to say: thanks for this program which pretty much saved my butt. And thanks for the help provided in the forums as well.

My hard drive ceased to be recognized by windows 7 (and other computers as well) and starting showing up as a healthy RAW drive in Disk Management. My only means of accessing the files has been through TestDisk. Despite what seems like a hardware issue (the HD has started making repetitive squeaks at 1 second intervals after a few minutes of use), I have been successful in recovering the most important files (documents, recorded music, photos). The one area I seem to be having trouble in is a certain directory.

The directory / folder should contain about 500 subfolders, each of which contains a video file. The problem is that when I run 'List' (I think it's called), only about 1/3rd of the folders appear there. Every one of these folders were able to be entirely recovered.

In short, is there something I'm totally oblivious to that would not allow me to see all of the subfolders in this folder ? Is there some limit in terms of the number of viewable folders in TestDisk ? Is there some other approach I could be taking than the one I am ? To be clear, my approach has been to List the files as soon as possible, and to select and copy files over to another HD.

christopherb

Re: Recovering files in a huge folder

#2 Post by christopherb »

to update:

After a long run without a squeak and using TestDisk, I managed to List and then Copy most important files. What I never was able to do was to more deeply access that folder (Is it because one partition can span 2 platters and the stuff in the directory I couldn't see was on a platter that couldn't be read ? I have no idea).

Since then the drive has started doing something different: very faint ticks plus repeated squeak sounds. Sometimes it does these and then powers down.

I have not since successfully been able to get TestDisk to see the drive. When running it via a sata-usb thinger, I'm finding that I lose internet access for some reason and the system slows down. Weird.

Oddly enough, when I run the program 'File Recovery' for windows, it doesn't start up. But when I switch off the drive, File Recovery suddenly starts, having properly detected the drive and its capacity.

If anyone has any suggestions of things to try, including cracking open the drive, I'd appreciate it.

christopherb

Re: Recovering files in a huge folder

#3 Post by christopherb »

I'm updating this thread because it's very possible this will be helpful to someone.

So after being really certain that the drive was just totally done, after the squeaking noises had increased and after even TestDisk failed to see the drive, I left the drive alone for a couple of weeks and tried again today.

The first thing I noticed was that TestDisk was still getting stuck at the initial screen after choosing logging options. Testdisk seemed to be stalled, my computer really slowed down, internet stopped working and the hard drive would occasionally cycle through different sounds--a beep every couple of minutes, followed by persistent squeaking sounds.

My thought: how long do I let this sit here ? Is it actually doing anything ? I let it sit for an hour or two, got through, selected the partition and then went to view the files and copy. I waited another hour or two without it seeming like anything was actually happening. Well, apparently stuff was happening.

Although several of the remaining files report failing, I have actually been successful at copying over several more files.

TL;DR: be patient with testdisk ! It can help rescue files from hard drives long after they should be readable.