photorec just stops/freezes

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
njso18

photorec just stops/freezes

#1 Post by njso18 »

When I run photorec to recover files from a partition on my external that contains an image.dd made from my macbook's hard drive, it will run for a few minutes and then just stop. It says "Estimated time to completion 2h47m20 and just isn't running. It did the same thing when I tried to recover the files from the actual hard drive. I can't hit the "stop" choice either, it's like it's totally frozen. Anyone else encounter this? I've tried copying the image.dd to an ext3 partition and running photorec, an ext4 partition...get the same thing every time. i'm trying to copy the files from one partition on a 1TB hdd to another partition on the same hdd, does that have something to do with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't find any other way to recover my data from this image.dd and it's very important. Thanks all.

TJDsec

Re: photorec just stops/freezes

#2 Post by TJDsec »

I'm having the same issue, is there any known fix? Photorec hangs at the same sector each time I run it.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#3 Post by cgrenier »

In your case, you are running PhotoRec against a physical device.
If PhotoRec is using 100% of the CPU, you have hit a bug, you need to update to latest version.
If it's not the case, there is a bad sector and your OS & PhotoRec are waiting for the device to abort on this sector.

flynnibus

#4 Post by flynnibus »

I want to add.. in my case the disk isn't mounted in the OS at all.. just viewable by the tool and disk management tools