Seagate Backup Plus 4TB - NEED HELP PLS!!

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jmw637

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB - NEED HELP PLS!!

#1 Post by jmw637 »

this external hard drive was almost filled up (100 GB or so free) so the other day i deleted a bunch of files to free up more space (now 170 or so free). i did so on a different computer than the one the drive is usually attached to, and when i reconnected the drive to that computer it still showed about 100 GB free (as if i hadn't done anything). i reconnected the drive to the first computer to make sure there weren't files waiting to be deleted, etc...but i couldn't resolve this descrepancy.

so i ran chkdsk on the drive which showed there were errors in need of fixing. but when i ran chkdsk /f i received an error to the effect that there wasn't enough room on the drive [for something...i can't recall exactly what!]. and the net effect of this was that it turned my disk RAW. it appears in computer management, but i have no access to any files (fyi, it should be NTFS with a single partition).

i ran testdisk, which found the following options (see attached testdisk screenshots - 1).

regardless of which 4000 GB option i select (and i've tried them all), i end up with this after partition is analyzed (see attached testdisk screenshots - 3):

after running both quick search and deeper search all i get is a message that "the hard disk seems too small!" (i didn't make screenshots of the specific results...which i can do, but it will take time as running the searches takes hours with a drive this large).

my question is, do you see anything from what is presented here that would help explain why i'm having trouble seeing my data (so i can write a new partition)?

your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance...jeff
Attachments
testdisk screenshots - 3.7z
(35.23 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
testdisk screenshots - 1.7z
(37.52 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

jmw637

Re: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB - NEED HELP PLS!!

#2 Post by jmw637 »

two other pieces of information (which may or may not be helpful):

1. if i select "drive e" (the same as in the attached screenshot above), but select "none" as the partition table type, i see what i'd expect...a single primary ntfs partition (labeled MEDIA). and both the qick and deep searches return a result of the same (highlighted in green) along with the message "Structure: Ok."

however, when i try to list the files, all i get is an error message ("Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged.") ugh....

2. when i run a chkdsk on the drive now, i receive the following error: Detected error in the Master File Table (MFT) mirror. Insufficient disk space to repair master file table (MFT) mirror."

i feel like success is at my fingertips...if i only knew what the hell i was doing!! so if anyone can point me in the right direction, i'd really appreciate it.

jeff

Fiona

#3 Post by Fiona »

I can't open your attachements.
I've got a read error and a message the the document is defect?
I'm using 7zip too.

Fiona

jmw637

#4 Post by jmw637 »

sorry. they worked here. odd...

try these...
Attachments
testdisk screenshots - 1.rar
(37.52 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
testdisk screenshots - 3.rar
(35.23 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

Fiona

#5 Post by Fiona »

Compression is not the problem.
Unfortunately I can't open the document using open office.

Fiona

jmw637

#6 Post by jmw637 »

these should work.

jeff
Attachments
testdisk screenshots - 1.jpg
testdisk screenshots - 1.jpg (69.3 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
testdisk screenshots - 3.jpg
testdisk screenshots - 3.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 4324 times

Fiona

#7 Post by Fiona »

Would it be possible to select your disk instead of a drive?
A drive has no partition table.

Fiona

jmw637

#8 Post by jmw637 »

i've tried selecting both 4000 GB disks (/dev/sdd & \\.\PhysicalDrive3). ultimately, i still end up with that same error message ("Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged.") when i try to look at the files.

jmw637

#9 Post by jmw637 »

is the problem here that you don't have enough information to help me, or that i'm beyond help?

what do the results of screenshot 3 mean? is there something i ca do to make this work?

Fiona

#10 Post by Fiona »

To select your disk (Disk / dev / sdd - 4000 GB) is appreciated, because I'd get information about your current partition table.
It has nothing to do if your file system is damaged.
At least I'd be able to check your partition table and your partition also.
If there would be any change or modification it could lead exactly to the same symptoms.

Fiona