Recovering "ghost" files?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
orallo

Recovering "ghost" files?

#1 Post by orallo »

Hi all,

I've used photorec in the past to recover files from harddrives, pendrives, etc. I've never had a problem with it nor did I need support.

This time I'm trying to recover some photos from a hdd that its been sittin on a shelf for a long time and when I stored it was working properly now it cannot be mounted on windows.

Photorec sees the hdd conected, and starts the process. I've selected a folder called c:\recover to dump whatever photorec finds...

So far its veeeery slowly recovering some files, at least thats what the photorec screen says, but I cant find the files ANYWERE in my computer, not on the c:\recover folder or anywhere else for that matter...

Any ideas??

THanks in advance for your time.
Orallo.

I´m attaching a screenshot
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (196.65 KiB) Viewed 4377 times

remy

Re: Recovering "ghost" files?

#2 Post by remy »

You probabely have a defective disk (not far from the end, it can become very slow because of reading sector retries) and you should better image it and try a recovery on the clone. If it was in good condition before, you may perhaps be able to recover partitions with testdisk, instead of acrving it with PR.

EDIT : By the way, if you are looking for pictures only, select the file type you're looking for, unless you have some "ASCII pictures" in .txt files

orallo

#3 Post by orallo »

Thanks for your reply Remy,

But do you know where the recovered files went??? I cant find them anywhere on the computer.

Thanks,
-Orallo

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

If your OS is Vista/Win7 you shouldn't recover data in root (for example C:\temp).
Easlily try to recover your data into your profile /documents and create a folder there.
Standard path is testdisk folder.
Also check your Ownership.
In the background, there shouldn't run antivirus, norton ghost, norton sonar which can prevent data from recovery.

remy

#5 Post by remy »

Files are... where you told photorec to write ;)

You may find them by searching folders "recup_dir.*", or files f*.jpg with your search tool.