RAW disk, no partition detected

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
yarboclo

Re: RAW disk, no partition detected

#11 Post by yarboclo »

Yes, but it takes a lot and I stopped.
Now, I'm repairing sectors with windows 7, but also takes much, it has been doing for 3 or 4 days ago.

Deity666

#12 Post by Deity666 »

I have a 500 G WD internal drive that I made a boot. after ~4 months, it developed bad sectors and crashed. Connected to a different computer, as soon as the system booted, I got an error SMART errors were detected, but Testdisk could see all the files. Back on my computer, trying various external enclosures/adapters, the system sees the disk (Computer Mgmt. shows it as being RAW - depending on where I look.) Doing a search with Testdisk is taking a long time - I don't even remember if I've started the deeper search or still quick... :roll:

holeshot1982

#13 Post by holeshot1982 »

Any update on this? I've got the same exact issue. No recovery program has been able to help, I've been running a deep search on a 32bit TestDisk for the past 12 hours and I'm only at 35%. How did you get yours to start showing up in your computer with all the files??

yarboclo

#14 Post by yarboclo »

Hi, just connecting it and waiting.
If you click on "Equipo" in W7 (I don't know the name in english, but it was My PC in Windows XP), and then click in the white space of window, starts charging a green bar, and after the failed hard drive appears and you can enter and open files (slowly) and copy most of them (very slowly).
This happened to me on my laptop, but not on the desktop, I do not know why. Also, after disconnecting abruptly after some days rescuing files, I do not get it again appears.
I think the first time I got access the hard drive was after uninstalling all hard drives in device manager, and connecting the hard drive failed after restart.
I hope you find it useful.

Regards

cgrenier
Site Admin

#15 Post by cgrenier »

When bad sectors are present, you should clone the disk use gnu ddrescue
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk
After that uses only the clone. Windows may be able to list your files or you can TestDisk for that.
If the partition is detected as raw, no need to use Analyse/Quick Search/... but instead use the Advanced menu in TestDisk.

holeshot1982

#16 Post by holeshot1982 »

yarboclo wrote:Hi, just connecting it and waiting.
If you click on "Equipo" in W7 (I don't know the name in english, but it was My PC in Windows XP), and then click in the white space of window, starts charging a green bar, and after the failed hard drive appears and you can enter and open files (slowly) and copy most of them (very slowly).
This happened to me on my laptop, but not on the desktop, I do not know why. Also, after disconnecting abruptly after some days rescuing files, I do not get it again appears.
I think the first time I got access the hard drive was after uninstalling all hard drives in device manager, and connecting the hard drive failed after restart.
I hope you find it useful.

Regards
"Equip" in english is "My Computer" I can go there and see the drive but when I click on it it says it's no accessible.... I also tried removing the hard drive in device manager but that didn't work either. But thanks for the suggestions.

raufsiddiqui

#17 Post by raufsiddiqui »

I need your help asap

I have applied your suggestion and I was able to restore one big file with extension .tib but I don't know how to mount it tried Acronis (www.acronis.com) but it says not supported format of .tib I have no idea how to make this .tib readable to get my data back... Please help me I need your assistance immediately

I have a Western Digital (WD) 4TB HDD on a dock connected to Laptop via eSATA for some reason it has suddenly stared to appear as RAW Partition instead of NTFS I only have flat files on this HDD nothing else

Regards / Rauf