Hoping to recover .docx files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Jonno

Hoping to recover .docx files

#1 Post by Jonno »

Hi! The errant HDD, showing itself to be RAW and in need of a format by Windows 7 on my Systemax desktop computer, is a 160 GB, 2.5" laptop drive currently being accessed via USB as a makeshift external hard drive. The Dell Latitude D630 laptop, while shut down some weeks ago, no longer would power up, only showing the power light for a second or two and even more briefly another light, possibly indicating the battery or hard drive activity. TestDisk run on this drive results in, while on Analyze, an output on the screen as:
Invalid NTFS or EXFAT boot
0 D HPFS - NTFS 206438 156 62 351416 18 1 2329062816
After being on Analyze, the output is as follows.

The harddisk <160 GB / 149 GiB> seems too small! (< 23 TB / 21 TiB)
Check the harddisk size: HD jumpers settings, BIOS detection...

The following partition can't be recovered:
Partition Start End Size in sectors
> HPFS - NTFS 206438 156 62 351416 18 1 2329062816

[ Continue ]
9539 GB / 8884 GiB

Now, all that I would like to recover is some .docx (Microsoft Word 2007 documents) files which in Photorec seem to be not listed in the file types (only .doc). I have run Photorec and found a number of recovered files, including .mp3 and some image files. But if possible I would appreciate a Signature to add for .docx files. Thanks.

Now, upon trying to upload my Sample.docx file for you, at the top under Post a New Topic I'm told "The extension docx is not allowed." So, I guess there is no hope. Is there? Thanks so very much, anyhow.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Hoping to recover .docx files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

docx are handled by the zip file family. No need to create a signature for PhotoRec.
If PhotoRec didn't recover your files, choose [Whole] instead of [Free] to scan your whole filesystem instead of the free space only.

Jonno

#3 Post by Jonno »

Although my destination drive has more than 70GB available and the desired docx files to recover cannot be more than several MB altogether, I'm receiving a No Space Available error message in PhotoRec. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Are all of the docx files supposed to be lumped together in a zip file?

Jonno

#4 Post by Jonno »

After connecting a larger capacity hard drive (320 GB) to the computer, I have tried again using PhotoRec and its result was 1 large (149 GB) .docx file which is not openable. Microsoft Word had me use Open and Recover and also Recover Text from Any File, neither of which special alternatives worked. Perhaps someone has a suggestion.