Around and around we go, can't write, can't fix partition...

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
apeter001

Around and around we go, can't write, can't fix partition...

#1 Post by apeter001 »

This is exasperating!

I have an 80GB hard drive Seagate model 7200.7 which came with my wife's DELL computer running Windows XP.
It was working just fine, then there was an error and the computer stopped responding so I rebooted and got the dreaded "no operating system found- press 1 to retry..."
The last time that happened I was able to take the drive and put it in another PC and copy the data (coincidentally another 80GB drive in a Dell) no problem.

So first I took the drive and stuck it in my Windows 7 pro machine, which absolutely refused to boot with this drive attached to SATA anywhere (SATA0 boot drive would hang up on the Windows 7 splash screen while it was trying to do something on this other drive, who knows what?)
Strike 1

Next, I took it to work and plugged it into my machine which is a Windows 8.1 dual-booted with Linux Mint which I hardly ever use because it refuses to print, but that is a story for another day.

Downloaded and installed Testdisk 6.13 the latest stable version and ran.
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (60.4 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
OK, after hitting "Create" for the log file the first thing it found was nothing, so I hit enter again and it found these 3 partitions. I don't know if the green color means anything or not, but the character on the left will switch from "*" to "P" to " "(blank) on each of the partitions (no "L" available)
What am I missing? I hit enter again to move on...
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (50.5 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Here I have the option for "Deeper Search" so I hit enter and let it do its thing. There are a LOT of pauses for bad sectors and this part takes about an hour.
Capture3 deep searching.JPG
Capture3 deep searching.JPG (44.15 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Note one of the partitions seems to disappear while searching.

I will have to continue in post 2 as I can only upload 3 attachments due to board restrictions...