Need help recovering my ext hard disk please

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
skylarlegend

Need help recovering my ext hard disk please

#1 Post by skylarlegend »

Good day to all.

I have a WD My Passport SE 750GB hard drive. I have had it for more than 3 years. It decided to fail on me two days ago. I am by no means an expert in data recovery, I would in fact be grateful if anyone could help me identify the problem and help with solving it.

I have four partitions on the hard drive. One of the partitions (the second partition) appeared only as "Local Disk (F:)" without other information and windows will ask me to format the drive every time I plug it into my windows 7 laptop.

I ran "Analyse" on the hard drive according to the "TestDisk Step by Step" guide. All the drives were found and sure enough, the second partition was listed twice. I did a "Quick Search" and TestDisk listed all four partitions with the "D" flag.

How do I proceed from here? Can I still access my files and copy them to my computer before proceeding?

Do let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for your time :)

Deity666

Re: Need help recovering my ext hard disk please

#2 Post by Deity666 »

I see a week has gone by without an answer. If you have not solved the problem, on the partition you can't access, if you do a search on it, can you find the files? If yes, can you save the files to one of the other partitions?

Sorry, I can't help you further, just find comfort that the files may still be recoverable.