Now that I have recovered files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
klink1956

Now that I have recovered files

#1 Post by klink1956 »

Hi all interested parties,
I had a storage hard drive on my pc lose it's MFT. I did not want to lose the files on the drive. I used PhotoRec and most if not all have been recovered.
The files were stored in a folder on my desktop 404 GB of data.
I have since replaced the drive that was the problem and I want to put the data on that drive.
All of the recovered data is in many folders within the main recovery folder and they are not in any kind of order or structure the way they had been. Will I be able to move them onto the new drive the way they were? If so how?
I thought I figured out how to move them back but.. the process has been running for 24 hours now and only moved only 2GB of data. I figure I am doing something wrong and need guidance. According to the display there is still 3396 hours to go that's 141 days.
It took less than a day to recover the files so I must have done something wrong.

If someone could direct me you would have my undying gratitude.

Thank you
Bob

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Now that I have recovered files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Unless the destination disk connected via USB 1 instead of USB2 or USB3, I don't see how it can so slow.

klink1956

#3 Post by klink1956 »

cgrenier,

The destination disk is a SATA drive attached to the mobo. That's why I know I'm doing something wrong. So instead of me screwing up the the proceedure of transfering the data to the new hard drive I thought I would ask for help.
A modest tutorial to tell how to get the files from a folder on my "C" drive to the other "F" would be wonderful.
Will the files go back with their own names to the original folders? Or do they go back as random as the recovery folder is?
Regards
Bob

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec doesn't recover the original filenames.
Run TestDisk, menu Advanced, select your partition, List and copy your files if possible. This way you will keep the original filenames. You can also try Undelete (TestDisk, Advanced...)