partition end well past total cylindars

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
dryii

partition end well past total cylindars

#1 Post by dryii »

The other day I updated my BIOS. Figured it would be a simple task, but then rebooted and my RAID10 was gone. I've uninstalled the Intel RST software and recreated the RAID in my BIOS. I can see the total disk in Windows and testdisk. Everything seems OK, but when I search for partitions to recreate it only shows two of the three being within the CHS boundaries.
testdisk_1.jpg
testdisk_1.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
testdisk_2.jpg
testdisk_2.jpg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
I've searched for the past couple days without discovering why this might be happening and how I might be able to resolve it. I've tried different settings and nothing has helped.

Suggestions?

dryii

Re: partition end well past total cylindars

#2 Post by dryii »

I've copied all the data off the first two partitions, which I'm very happy about. I'd really like to figure out how to access the final one and copy its information, too. It's not critical, but may save me some time recreating everything.

dryii

Re: partition end well past total cylindars

#3 Post by dryii »

No matter what I did I just couldn't get the final partition to become valid. Even manually defineing the partion start and end CHS didn't take. After I rebooted it showed values that I had not entered. I dunno.

Just very thankful TestDisk was available to help me copy most of my data to a backup location before starting fresh with the broken RAID disks.