NOOBIE Needs help w/Quantum ProDrive from Mac SE

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
brookstyler

NOOBIE Needs help w/Quantum ProDrive from Mac SE

#1 Post by brookstyler »

Hi All,
I hope I am in the right forum, if not please forgive me & point me in the right direction. So here is the issue. I have a Quantum Prodrive SCSI HDD [940-40-9102] pulled from an old Mac SE running 6.07 OS. I am attempting to retrieve the data on a Win 7 PC. I hooked the HDD up to the PC via an Adaptec AHA-2940AU pci scsi card. Win sees the drive but wants me to initialize it, which I have not done. When I run TestDisk, the program only sees "C" drive but not the ProDrive. see screen shot:
Disk&CmptrMgt ScreenShot.gif
Disk&CmptrMgt ScreenShot.gif (247.84 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
Disk Mgt sees the drive as Disk2 Unknown & Not Initialized w/an evil looking red arrow...Now I am lost as to what to do next.
I have also run SeaTools for Windows [which also "sees" the drive] on the HDD but disk to no avail...all tests fail, perhaps b/c I a running a Win program on a Mac disk [like I said Noobie to data recovery] But the "failures" do worry me. I have also tried HFSExplorer 0.22.1 & it sees the drive as: "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk2\Partition0" but I get: Error Could not find any file systems on device! But I know there are/is b/c I booted about a year ago. The whole issue stared b/c the battery leaked on the MB & at start up I got the dreaded Tiger striped " SimasiMac" screen. If you need more info please let me know & I will provide.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fiona

Re: NOOBIE Needs help w/Quantum ProDrive from Mac SE

#2 Post by Fiona »

TestDisk gets info from your OS.
Except DOS.
Since W2k/Win2000 a disk must be initialized, so that Windows can handle it.
Disk initializing under windows, creates a MBR and writes a 4 Byte signature.
In any case, partitoning and formatting should be avoided.
TestDisk can search for partitions and recover them.
In your case, you've moved your disk from a mac to a windows machine.
If you'd like to avoid that windows creates an Intel-MBR and writes a signature, you should consider to use a live cd like knoppix and trying to repeat your diagnose.
If your partition has been a HFS+partition (I have no idea of what kind of partition you're looking for) you should use the right partition table type like EFI GPT if the mac was an Intel mac and if it was an older one, apple partition map.
Info:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/OS_Notes ... 28Intel.29
I'm not as much an apple tech savvy.

brookstyler

#3 Post by brookstyler »

Hi Fiona! Thanks for the reply I have a few questions
Fiona wrote: Since W2k/Win2000 a disk must be initialized, so that Windows can handle it.
Disk initializing under windows, creates a MBR and writes a 4 Byte signature.
So does that mean I should intialize the disk under windows? Is there a potential for data loss?

"In any case, partitoning and formatting should be avoided.
TestDisk can search for partitions and recover them."

Even if the disk is now Initalized for Win?

"In your case, you've moved your disk from a mac to a windows machine.
If you'd like to avoid that windows creates an Intel-MBR and writes a signature, you should consider to use a live cd like knoppix and trying to repeat your diagnose."

I have been able to get Knoppix to see/recognize the drive, but I can not figure out how to run TestDisk in Knoppix [I am running Knoppix from USB stick...Any help greatly appreciated!

"If your partition has been a HFS+partition (I have no idea of what kind of partition you're looking for) you should use the right partition table type like EFI GPT if the mac was an Intel mac and if it was an older one, apple partition map."

I to have no idea, but b/c the drive is circa 1987 I am [& it is only a guess] guessing HFS. As for if it was an Intel Mac...again no clue...but do not think it was b/c of its age.

What I am attempting to do is just grab the data from the Mac drive on a Win7 desktop & use a 3rd party product to translate Mac>Win. Will TestDisk do that? Do I need to initialze the drive for Win? I am/was under the impression that the disk was/had been intialized at the "Mac" factory b/c all i had to do was plug it in & turn it on, but being such a noob at data recovery I really am lost.

Also pretty much a rookie at these boards b/c Itried to "qoute" you more than once but only got 1 to show...opps sorry

Thank in advance for any help you can offer!

brookstyler

#4 Post by brookstyler »

Addedum,
I fort to mention TestDisk [at least under Win7] still does not recognize the drive, perhaps/probally[?] b/c of the initialazion issue. I am just scared of data loss os I have not intialized the drive.