File Saving to USB or External Hardrive or Recover Partition

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bryansingh12

File Saving to USB or External Hardrive or Recover Partition

#1 Post by bryansingh12 »

I have a WD External Hardrive 2.0 1 TB Passport and it was showing up in Disk Utility on a Mac and Computer Management on a Windows, and I did not know what was causing this. So I came upon TestDisk and decided to give it a try, I am able to locate the all the files on the External Hardrive, but it is around 200-300 gb filled up. I do not want to transfer all of those files over to my main computer (Mac), so I was thinking if I was able to transfer them over to a Flash Drive or a new External Hardrive that I had purchased, but I do not see any option for me to copy the files to either one of those. But then I got to thinking that there may be a way for me to just restore the files back to my WD External Hardrive 2.0 1 TB Passport, but I do not know how. Any ideas anyone?

DorianWD

Re: File Saving to USB or External Hardrive or Recover Parti

#2 Post by DorianWD »

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having. If I understood correctly you would like to copy the files from the WD My Passport to your new external drive. What happens when you try to copy the files, do you get any error message? What I can suggest is for you to clone the HDD. For this purpose you could use a program like Acronis True Image which will make an exact copy of the data on the new hard drive.
I would also recommend that you run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic on your PC to make sure that everything with the My Passport is ok. You can download it for free here: http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... =3&lang=en

Hope this helps.

Dorian_WD

bryansingh12

#3 Post by bryansingh12 »

Thank you for that, but before I try to copy any new information onto the new external hard drive, I wish to try and fix the old one. But I do not know how to fix the bad sector or partition (I am not sure which one it is)

DorianWD

#4 Post by DorianWD »

Can you please explain what exactly is the issue you are facing. From which data carrier do you want to transfer the data - from the My Passport? Are you able to see the data stored on it? Did you try running Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and did it show any bad sectors?

Regards,
Dorian_WD

bryansingh12

#5 Post by bryansingh12 »

I can see the files on the old My Passport-1, but I wish to transfer the files over to another external hard drive (My Passport -2) but when I click "c" the directory for the My Passport-2 does not show up, and I'm lost from here. Also, when I plug it into my computer (Mac) it does not show up in Finder (My Passport-1), but when I use disk management it My Passport-1 shows up there, so I do not know what to do.

DorianWD

#6 Post by DorianWD »

Are you connecting both My Passport hard drives at the sime time? If yes, then you may need to assign the second HDD a different drive letter. Which OS do you have on your PC? For Win 7 you need to go to Computer Management -> Disk Management, right click on the drive and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths. Here you can find further instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
Another thing you could try is go to disk management, click on the drive that is not showing and then click online.

Do you try connecting both HDDs to your Mac at the same time? From disk utility you can try running the Repair Disk function.

I hope this will solve your issue, but in case it doesn't you could attach screenshots.

Regards,
Dorian_WD

bryansingh12

#7 Post by bryansingh12 »

It shows up in disk utility but not in Finder
It shows up in disk utility but not in Finder
Finder.png (11.72 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
This is how it shows up in Disk Utility
This is how it shows up in Disk Utility
Disk Util.png (133.6 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
This is what shows up when I click "c" in TestDisk, My Passport 2 does not show up
This is what shows up when I click "c" in TestDisk, My Passport 2 does not show up
TestDisk.png (154.45 KiB) Viewed 4262 times

DorianWD

#8 Post by DorianWD »

Did you try assigning a new drive letter to the second My Passport drive?
And is it formatted in HFS+ or exFAT so that it can be used on a Mac?

Regards,
Dorian_WD

bryansingh12

#9 Post by bryansingh12 »

I did not try assigning it to a new letter drive, mostly due to the fact that I do not know how to do that. And the new My Passport drive is formatted with exFAT.

DorianWD

#10 Post by DorianWD »

You could try assigning the new drive letter in WIndows. For Mac you can check this link: http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/13/mount-un ... -mac-os-x/

I really hope this will help

Regards,
Dorian_WD