Please Help Me Rebuild/Recover Partition or Recover Data?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Please Help Me Rebuild/Recover Partition or Recover Data

#11 Post by cgrenier »

Choose sector and enter 264192. Select the second one and enter 5860532223. Choose type and select MS Data.
Select "Done". On next screen, set this partition as P(rimary). On next one, choose Write, confirm, Quit
In the Advanced menu, you should see this partition again. Use type to force the settings to MS Data and next NTFS,
menu Boot, BackupBS, confirm, Quit

ostrichsak

#12 Post by ostrichsak »

cgrenier wrote:Choose sector and enter 264192. Select the second one and enter 5860532223. Choose type and select MS Data.
Select "Done". On next screen, set this partition as P(rimary). On next one, choose Write, confirm, Quit
In the Advanced menu, you should see this partition again. Use type to force the settings to MS Data and next NTFS,
Just to make sure since I'm entering figures manually... those figures will be the same no matter what, right? In other words, that fact that it's been sitting powered on (shouldn't be adding or removing data though) in my dock for this long doesn't matter, right? Just follow those exact steps and enter those exact figures, yes?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#13 Post by cgrenier »

Yes, the values won't change.

ostrichsak

#14 Post by ostrichsak »

Okay, thanks. I might have time tomorrow to get this done.

ostrichsak

#15 Post by ostrichsak »

cgrenier wrote:Choose sector and enter 264192. Select the second one and enter 5860532223. Choose type and select MS Data.
Alright, sorry for the delay in getting to this. Lots of big stuff going on w/the family and I've been at various Emergency Rooms and Dr offices.

I got all the way to the last steps of your post and there's a couple of things I need clarification on as the options or wording are a bit different and I don't want to take any missteps. I completed the part that says 'Use type to force settings to MS Data and next NTFS' but the next part is a bit confusing. On the next menu I get a 'BOOT' option and when I select that I don't get 'BackupBS' as you said. I get QUIT, Rebuild BS & Dump. This is the screen I'm looking at currently.
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (63.59 KiB) Viewed 3197 times

Fiona

#16 Post by Fiona »

Did you use TestDisk 64bit?
TestDisk 32bit is recommended.
In menu "Advanced" you should mark your partition, confirming at type, choose MS Data and then NTFS.
Check the boot menu again.
Your partition should appear as NTFS.
Upload another screen.

Fiona

ostrichsak

#17 Post by ostrichsak »

Is there ANYONE that knows how to use this program that is available for an instant message conversation of some sort? Months have gone by and I'm more confused than when I started and on top of that I think my backup storage drive is now going out too much like the drive in this thread did. I had some Windows updates & needed to reboot due to Chrome memory leak and upon reboot my E: drive is nowhere to be found. I've just got a LOT going on right now (just had to move my mother in with us as her cancer has gotten worse) and I've got way way WAY too much stuff on my plate. I feel like if there's someone available to IM with this would be a quick and painless process probably on both drives. I could fix my primary as well as my secondary storage drives and then image my OS onto my new SSD and eliminate my aging HDD OS drive which could be causing the issues to begin with.

Nairb

#18 Post by Nairb »

Forgot to add a screenshot. Here's where I'm at now and as you can see the numbers came up exactly the same as the OP so I'm concerned I might screw things up if I proceed as this is considerably less in size then my drive was. This was purely a data storage drive, not partitioned at all, GPT, NTFS with ~1.8TB of mostly photos and accounting info on it before windows displayed it as a raw drive needing formating after I had saved over the windows 2TB limit/flaw.

NOTE: these attachments seem to have loaded backwards so should be looked at from bottom to top. I find these forum attachment layouts fairly confusing
Attachments
And this is where I'm at now, wondering if I should proceed???
And this is where I'm at now, wondering if I should proceed???
TD_deepFinDATA.jpg (62.41 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
Felt better when seeing this partition, though as shown, it's data amount is way smaller then what I had on the drive...
Felt better when seeing this partition, though as shown, it's data amount is way smaller then what I had on the drive...
TD_deepFinNTFS.jpg (85.4 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
wasn't sure about this xfs partition
wasn't sure about this xfs partition
TD_deepFinXFS.jpg (88.72 KiB) Viewed 2963 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

#19 Post by cgrenier »

As your 3TB partition named DATA is listed, you can choose to write it.

Nairb

#20 Post by Nairb »

Thanks for that, would it be advisable to proceed as I don't currently have a cloned backup of this damaged drive. At the time of posting I had no means to create one, but have since obtained a drive and was about to begin. I figure it will take several days once that's started to get back to the point I am now.

Should I take the precaution to clone, or does it look like I'd be safe to go ahead writing right away?

PS - I see from searching around a bunch more that these numbers of 264192, 5860532223, and 5860268032 seem to be always or often associated with 3TB drives and not necessarily related to what data is actually on them. Slowly learning.