OS wrote over wrong HD

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
skooterbum

OS wrote over wrong HD

#1 Post by skooterbum »

Hi. This is my first time here, so please excuse my confusion... I'm not the most educated person when it comes to PC's, but I have learned a fair amount. I'm comfortable making repairs with guidance.

My problem is, some how, my HD that stored all of my documents, pictures, and music, got over written with a copy of my OS. How this happened I have absolutely no idea. My friends at the "PC Help Forum" worked with me on this, and they couldn't come up with an explanation for this. Nor could they help me to recover the lost / over written files.

I tried using the "Recuva" freeware program to recover the lost files, and got nothing from that. So I am here asking for any help to recover these lost files. I have / had, a lot of very important information stored on the HD, and desperately need to recover it, or as much as possible.

Is there someone on this forum, that could possibly walk me through recovering these files ?? I would be extremely grateful !!

Nick

Re: OS wrote over wrong HD

#2 Post by Nick »

If a space portion is overwritten by other data, it is very difficult to recover previous data (the more is overwritten, the more is difficult, unless impossible);
Anyway, did you try to make a first scan with testdisk and photorec?

skooterbum

#3 Post by skooterbum »

No I did not try to recover it with testdisk or photorec, because I did not know which one I should use for my problem.

Knowing that I do not want to make any additional changes to the hard drive, I'm waiting for instructions from someone that knows what's the best steps for me to take.

Also I am completely unfamiliar with this software, so will need help going through the proper steps, or making the correct choices when performing the recovery process.

Nick

#4 Post by Nick »

skooterbum

#5 Post by skooterbum »

Sorry for not posting back. I've been sick.

OK, I get to this point using PhotoRecovery, and do not know what I need to do next ?? The screen shot shows where I get stumped. What do I do next ??

Thanks.........
Attachments
RECOVERY.jpg
RECOVERY.jpg (105.82 KiB) Viewed 3912 times

Nick

#6 Post by Nick »

It is written:
1. select a destination to recover files using arrows (you must choice another disk or partition)
2. press "C" to confirm destination
3. press "Q" to quit

skooterbum

#7 Post by skooterbum »

Yes sir, I understand that is what is required to continue with the recovery process.

At this point I am completely lost though, so please bear with me.....

Am I to enter a new command line, to get the recovered information to be saved ?? If so, what do I enter ?? Or am I just to enter a drive letter, where the curser is blinking ??

This has me completely lost ??

Thanks........

Nick

#8 Post by Nick »

You have to follow instructions. Did you read the guides I have linked?
Now you have to select the path of recovered files; to do so you have to mount another disk (for example external usb disk) or select another free partition of your damaged disk (if eny) where no previous important data is present. After that, testdisk will show you the detected partition after the quickscan; so you have to select this partition and press "P" to list the lost files (if eny). Then follow the instructions shown by program.
I hope I've been clearer.

skooterbum

#9 Post by skooterbum »

Yes Nick, I did read over the directions you linked me to, and I printed them off, so I can follow them as I'm going through the process.

I hate to say, this is way over my head, and I am completely lost. I think I understand a little more with your last post. I will see if I can get it done correctly this time...

I've always struggled learning with books. I learn best by example, which is part of the reason this is so hard for me.

Thanks for your help, and your patients with me !!

"EDIT" As I said I've never been good at bookwork. I think I just figured out part of my problem. I've been using the Photorecover software, with TestDisk directions.....No wonder the screen shots do not look like the picture in the directions..... :? :? :? :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: