Photorec stuck on scan

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
pintee

Photorec stuck on scan

#1 Post by pintee »

Hello all,
Recently I lost some files due to ineptitude. I've since discovered PhotoRec and it looks to be the best chance I have of recovering these files. However I seem to have run into a problem. I am about 18 hours into the scan and I've noticed that the sectors being read oscillates between a set range and doesn't increase beyond that range. The estimated time on the other hand keeps increasing and at present looks like its going to be greater than 2 days. What I want to know is, Is this repetition of read sectors normal?

Thanks for reading. :)

vjau

Re: Photorec stuck on scan

#2 Post by vjau »

I have the exact same problem, photorec has been running for 12 hours, but it'is still scanning the same sector range.
It's an accidently formated disk which is not damaged. I have asked it to scan the whole disk.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#3 Post by cgrenier »

Which version of PhotoRec are you using ?
Is PhotoRec display a read error message ?
If you check the latest recup_dir.* directory, do you see a file that keep being created and deleted ? What is its name ?

rb126

#4 Post by rb126 »

I have the same problem. I have a 32GB micro SDHC card from my phone that started causing my phone to crash all the time. I've replaced it with a new one and the phone has stopped crashing. I wished to recover the photos and videos from this previous micro SDHC card.

I started the scan this morning and it has so far been running for 7 hours and 51 minutes. When it started it said it would take about 2 hours to run. As the scan progressed the estimated completion time kept getting longer and longer. It currently says it will take another 5 hours and 40 minutes to finish.

The "Reading sector" number does seem to be cycling around between 36.0 million and about 39.6 million out of 62.3 million. The card is FAT32.

Following your advice I looked at the latest recup_dir folder (recup_dir.13) and there appear to be pairs of files in there - some beginning f and a number and some beginning t and a number (I'm guessing thumbnails).

Is there a rule of thumb to say how long a scan should take? I'm thinking I should easily have been able to take a full disk image of a card of this size in a fraction of the time. I don't really know when to assume it's not going to work and kill it, or whether to keep waiting.

Thanks!
Attachments
Progress so far...
Progress so far...
photorec1.png (16.86 KiB) Viewed 6520 times

rb126

#5 Post by rb126 »

Ah, it did finish in the end (latest version of photrec)

If it's of use to others, it took around 13 hours to scan my 32GB SanDisk Ultra micro SDHC card. And the good news for me is that it seems to have recovered everything. Trying to copy two of the photos and one mp4 file using Windows Explorer caused Explorer to hang and the card to dismount somehow. I had to power-cycle my laptop several times to copy all of the other files off because every time I hit one of the "bad" files it locked up Windows. However, photorec seems to have copied those bad files off the card as well! Thanks for such a useful tool.
Attachments
photorec2.png
photorec2.png (14.7 KiB) Viewed 6520 times

Gengis

#6 Post by Gengis »

I used Photorec a few times in the past and recently downloaded version 7.0 to recover deleted pictures form a 2GB SD card. Note that the card was perfectly working, pictures where erroneously deleted by the owner.

I noticed something strange in the way this version works: previous versions of Photorec worked reasonably fast on such small memory cards; this version instead is taking A LOT of time to scan the whole card. At the beginning, the recovery process is fast and the estimated time is reasonable, but after the program has recovered some pictures it starts acting in a strange way: each time a new file is recovered, the "Reading sector" counter restarts from the beginning.

Initially I tough this was some sort of improvement in the new version to recover more files, but now I'm starting to believe this is a bug and reinstalled version 6.14.

I'm using the Mac version of Photorec on a late 2008 MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite 10.10.

Hope this helps

cgrenier
Site Admin

#7 Post by cgrenier »

Can you run "photorec /debug" using latest 7.0-WIP and send me the photorec.log file ?

vanMacG

#8 Post by vanMacG »

I have the same problem as the original post stated.
photorec seems to be stuck on a file. The sector-counter increases and decreases about a certain value.
After 12 hours with this issue photorec produced a warning that it cannot write a file and maybe an antivirus-agent is a problem and i should deactivate it and continue. But the problem is still the same.

As you asked in an previous post:
I use photorec 6.14. Only the error obove was displayed.
And yes, there is a file that constantly gets bigger (up to 40mb) and then has 0 Bytes again, it's in dir recup_dir.45 and called f111685376.zip

lsambade

#9 Post by lsambade »

Hi all. I'm having same problem like this. I'm recovering a HDD that contains .ARI files and was deleted by a client. Photorec ver 7.0 is working fine, but to slow. Each file take 12 minutes to be recovered, so I estimate that the full scan is going to take 140 days. How can it be fix?
Tanks in advance and let me know if you need some report file.

Lucas.

NotPcSavvy

#10 Post by NotPcSavvy »

hi am having the same problem photo rec 7.0
any help appreciated