TestDisk not displaying all files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
rageman

TestDisk not displaying all files

#1 Post by rageman »

While trying to recover 4tb drive using TestDisk I can only view some of the files with TestDisk. The files are all video files (1-8 gb each) and are all in one folder (should be roughly 700 files). TestDisk only displays videos A through M and cuts off there. The files where added over several years with no particular order. Therefore it seems impossible that a bad sector would lose files in alphabetical order. Please Help

rageman

Re: TestDisk not displaying all files

#2 Post by rageman »

Just a question, while listing files / directories after a quick search is it possible that there is a hard coded maximum for number of files displayed in one folder? Something like 512 maybe?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#3 Post by cgrenier »

In TestDisk, there is an artificial limit of 30 clusters when listing FAT directories. A FAT cluster (or block) is between 512 bytes and 32k. A FAT directory entry takes 32 bytes. A short filename take only 1 entry, a very long filename (256 unicode chars) may take 21 (20+1) directory entries.

Are your files on a FAT32, exFAT or NTFS partition ?

rageman

#4 Post by rageman »

No I am 99% sure it is NTFS. I use all my drives as NTFS and I selected NTFS when searching the drive for recovery. In theory if there is hard drive damage (instead of just a missing partition table) then random files would be missing, but no files are missing except files in one folder beginning from letter N. Every single files in the entire rest of the drive was recovered (I recovered a folder at a time) but this is not possible with my movie folder as the size is much too large (it would take weeks) so I am recovering one movie at a time.