PhotoRec recover 3gig .Apple???

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tbek

PhotoRec recover 3gig .Apple???

#1 Post by tbek »

Hi, I am not a techie at all. I tried the PhotoRec and follow step by step to recover photos from a Canon camera that I accidentally (and stupidly) formatted! I was able to recover a 3 gig file with extension .apple - how do I open this file? Please help.

remy

Re: PhotoRec recover 3gig .Apple???

#2 Post by remy »

This is probably not the file you are looking for. Let's say it's a "false positive" and search again :
- Please take the 6.14 version
- In the "file option" deselect all extension (s key) and select only crw and tif (cr2 are tagged image file)
- Be careful to specify a destination different than the disk where you are looking files.

tbek

#3 Post by tbek »

Thanks for replying Remy! I was using v6.14. I got my hopes up because it recover a 3gig file. What is exactly a .apple file? I can't seem to find any info on it doing a Google search.

I will try your suggestion of selecting just "crw" and "tif". But can you or anyone tell me if what I am selecting below are correct? It's the default or should I select a different choice?

Thanks for all the help.
Attachments
#3 I selected the default which is "Other". What does the 1st choice (ext2/ext3) mean?
#3 I selected the default which is "Other". What does the 1st choice (ext2/ext3) mean?
3.jpg (68.85 KiB) Viewed 8251 times
#2 I selected the default which is partition with"6322176" or should i select the top one?
#2 I selected the default which is partition with"6322176" or should i select the top one?
2.jpg (69.14 KiB) Viewed 8251 times
#1 I selected the default which is the 1st one. What is the difference between "disk1" and "rdisk1"?
#1 I selected the default which is the 1st one. What is the difference between "disk1" and "rdisk1"?
1.jpg (90.97 KiB) Viewed 8251 times

remy

#4 Post by remy »

Hi,

.apple file : don't know, but it's not a cr2 or a raw crw... By the way : are you sure you took your picture using raw extension ? Else, you should search for .jpg instead of raw canon.

Whole disk / partition : select whole disk, because the size is good (4Gigs). Partition is what is written in the MBR and there's corruption. Beginning and size are wrong for your media.

Disk/rdisk : don't know exactely. It's due to disk detection under mac OSX, but I'm not an expert with this os. It should give same results, but your card is little enough that you can try both if results are not the same.

cthiebault

#5 Post by cthiebault »

I have the same problem... were you able to recover you files?
What kind of file was it in fact?

therebel

#6 Post by therebel »

same problem. anyone have any idea?