WD Passport 1 TB External HDD

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
amogh

WD Passport 1 TB External HDD

#1 Post by amogh »

Hello Guys,

Disclaimer: I am a complete novice at any kind of data or partition recovery. I don't even know what is wrong with my disk except for the fact that it is not working (F: is the drive in question here)

I downloaded TestDisk and ran some basic tests and below are the screenshots

I would really appreciate any inputs / steps to help me recover data from this disk.

Thanks a lot!

Amogh
1.PNG
1.PNG (35.57 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
2.PNG
2.PNG (36.38 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
3.PNG
3.PNG (11.64 KiB) Viewed 3417 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: WD Passport 1 TB External HDD

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run "cmd" (right click run as administrator) and type "chkdsk /f f:". What is the results ?

HanoYs

#3 Post by HanoYs »

cgrenier wrote:Run "cmd" (right click run as administrator) and type "chkdsk /f f:". What is the results ?
Hello,
I've posted a question earlier "My 2 HDs 1T each is corrupted" http://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/my-2 ... t4600.html..
for the Toshiba HDD, i had a similar problem and using the chkdsk, it was solved .. Yaaay :lol: :lol: :lol: , however i already have been trying it but using the RightClick>Tools>Check disk, which was giving error that the device is not accessible

and im trying now for the WD, Appreciate your help on my thread

but when i try to browse it, the following picture contains my original file/folders structure on my HDD, all the folders went 0 size, and 2 new folders are new, and one of them contains pictures from my family album folder

DorianWD

#4 Post by DorianWD »

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about your issue. You can run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool to check your HDD for bad sectors. You can download it here for free: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=rFXnav
Run the extended test and let us know what the results are. Some logical errors on the drive can be repaired with this programm. If this does not help you could try with a data recovery software.

I hope this will help.
Regards

Damien

#5 Post by Damien »

Hi Amogh,

Did you manage to solve your problem?

I am stuck at the same level than your original post:
> Boot sector and Backup boot sector are both OK but "A valid NTFS Boot sector must be present"
> "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged"

I've been advised to run the "chkdsk /f" command but I read that this can cause some damages. How did it go for you? Did you lose some data?

Thanks