Recovering Qcow2 only

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
lucrus

Recovering Qcow2 only

#1 Post by lucrus »

Hello,

I need to recover qcow2 files. I've read that PhotoRec can recover them, but I need to select only that type of file, because I haven't enough free space on my destination folder to recover everything (and, besides, I only need qcow2 files). However I can't find the qcow2 file type in the types selection list. What type of file should I enable in order to try the recovery of qcow2 files ONLY?

Thanks in advance
Lucio.
Last edited by lucrus on 18 Jan 2015, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering Qcow2 only

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Select .cow file familly tor recover .qcow2.
But PhotoRec stops the recovery of a Qcow file only when a new file is found, so it's a bas idea to disable most file types. You really need enough space.

lucrus

Re: Recovering Qcow2 only

#3 Post by lucrus »

cgrenier wrote:But PhotoRec stops the recovery of a Qcow file only when a new file is found
So how is it supposed to ever recover a whole Qcow file? A Qcow file contains other files types that PhotoRec will find as if they were part of the host filesystem, while they are actually part of the Qcow file (guest filesystem), but they will make PhotoRec stop the Qcow recovery nevertheless... right?