Drive no longer boots after converting to Dynamic

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jackdup

Drive no longer boots after converting to Dynamic

#1 Post by jackdup »

I guess the first question is does Testdisk work on Windows 8.1 and can it be run on a Vista computer with the Windows 8.1 disk connected through a USB port as I am not sure if Vista can read dynamic disks?

I wanted to use drive mirroring which requires changing the drives to dynamic however before I did that I wanted to be sure the conversion would leave the drive still bootable and that there would not be any data loss so posted on Technet.Microsoft.com and was advised I could convert to dynamic without any data loss and the drive would still be bootable. To be on the safe side I cloned drive C to the drive that will be the second drive in the mirror setup and then converted drive C to dynamic. All went fine and after exiting dish management everything was working fine so went back into disk management and coverted the other drive to dynamic as well which again seemed to go just fine. It showed both drives as dynamic and healthy and drive C as a bootable system drive.

I shut down and restarted however as soon as it started to reboot there was a message saying Preparing Automatic Repair and then Diagnosing PC and then Attempting repairs. Then I get a message saying automatic repair couldn't repair your PC with two options, shut down and advance options. Selecting advance options brings up another screen with three choices. The first is continue which if you select it it just reboots. The third option is turn off your PC. The second option is troubleshoot and selecting it brings up another screen giving three choices, Refresh your PC, Reset your PC and advanced options. I don't want to have to reinstall all of my software which I would assume I would have to do if I select either of the first two options but would appreciate if someone could confirm that. The third option is again advance options which takes you to another screen with six options. System restore, System Image recovery, Startup repair, Command prompt, UEFI Firmware and Startup settings. Selecting system restore brings up an error saying system restore could not find the offline boot volume. Please insure it is currently accessible. I don't have an image recovery, startup repair does not solve the problem. Selecting command prompt and then going to drive c: shows a 16 GB partition named Samsung Rec 2. Going to Drive d: shows Samsung Rec which is 325 MB, so assume these two partitions were the recovery partitions. It would appear the original system partition that had all of my files as well as the system files, in other words the primary partition on drive c is now drive X so am not sure if that is the reason it is not booting or what I need to do to make it bootable again.
Thank you

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Drive no longer boots after converting to Dynamic

#2 Post by cgrenier »

TestDisk works on Windows 8.1. It can be run on a Vista computer with the Windows 8.1 disk connected through a USB port.
You can use TestDisk to convert the disks back to non-dynamic disks.

jackdup

#3 Post by jackdup »

I am not sure if I have done something wrong but when I originally ran TESTDISK and selected quick search it only took a few minutes to complete. I would have continued but did not have an extra drive with enough space handy so cleaned one off today and ran it again however now after selecing quick search it is extremely slow. It has run for about an hour and a half and still doesn't show even 1%.

Is there something I may have inadvertantly selected diferently that would cause it to be taking this long. The instructions also said to run deeper search after the quick search so would assume that one is even longer.

I would like to post a log as instructed before doing anything that may cause loss of data and understand I need to run both the quick search as well as the deeper search before I post the log.
Thank you

jackdup

#4 Post by jackdup »

Can someone tell me if it is possible to make a disk that was originally basic and then converted to dynamic bootable, and if so how would a person go about it?

Thank you

jackdup

#5 Post by jackdup »

cgrenier wrote:TestDisk works on Windows 8.1. It can be run on a Vista computer with the Windows 8.1 disk connected through a USB port.
You can use TestDisk to convert the disks back to non-dynamic disks.
Do you have a link for instructions so I don't mess things up?