Windows BSOD - but fine in Linux - Please Help!

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Apnomis

Windows BSOD - but fine in Linux - Please Help!

#1 Post by Apnomis »

Ok so I have an old XP laptop that I need to repair and no longer have the recovery disc for.

When I try to start it I get a BSOD with a STOP: 00X00000024 error message just as it gets to the Windows splash screen.

Using the MiniXP tool in Hiren's Boot CD the C drive is not accessible, has no size info, and has a RAW file system. It also won't let me run Check Disk or any other tools on it as it doesn't see that drive. If I run a SMART check it says everything is find with the drive.

So I tried using Partition Magic which is a Linux environment and includes TestDisk. When in Linux the drive is visible and accessible and all the files and folders appear intact, Linux sees it as an NTFS drive.

So I tried using TestDisk and it found 3 partitions - a small FAT16 hidden Dell partition, a small FAT32 hidden Dell partition, and the main NTFS partition. It was suggesting the small drive at position 0 was Primary Bootable and the the other two were Primary. So I made the main NTFS drive the Primary Bootable and the other two drives Primary.

However I still get the BSOD when starting Windows, and now in Hiren's MiniXP I can see the previously hidden Dell drives listed with a drive letter and size information and they are now accessible. However the NTFS drive is still showing as RAW in MiniXP and is still not accessible.

What am I doing wrong? Clearly the drive is fine as it works in Linux, and the Windows files are still intact, so it must be something to do with the file system or partitioning or something in Windows XP? But I don't really know what's wrong to know how to fix it. I've been Googling but nothing comes up that is exactly the same as my problem?

There must be a way to fix this, I just don't know how... Any help would be appreciated!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Windows BSOD - but fine in Linux - Please Help!

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You should check the filesystem: run "chkdsk /f c:" (replace c: by the correct drive letter) from a working Windows.
Otherwise backup your files from Linux and reinstall.