Bad Geometry

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Roy78

Bad Geometry

#1 Post by Roy78 »

Hi everyone!
Below is a screenshot of a the system-partition of a small business server 2011, the server boots up normal with no problems, although this partiton is active, has the boot-partition and the system on it.
Is there anything i can do with testdisc or another tool, or should i leave it as it is, since the server is running correctly?
The only problem I got is, I cant do image based backups of the server, because of the bad geometry.
The disc is on a raid 1 on a lsi-megaraid controller.
Thank you for reading and helping!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Bad Geometry

#2 Post by cgrenier »

3 possibilities:
- the safest: do nothing
- Run TestDisk from a LiveCD, Advanced, Boot, RebuildBS, List. If you can see your files, choose Write, confirm, Quit
- Run TestDisk, Analyse, Quick Search. Choose to Write the new partition table, confirm, Quit and restart the computer.

If it's a Raid 1, you may want to keep a harddisk as a backup until you have verified that everything work as expected.

Roy78

Re: Bad Geometry

#3 Post by Roy78 »

Thank you a lot, cgrenier!

For now, I think, I will stay with the safest possibility, and leave it as it is.
One day I will virtualize the server and then i'll have to fix the bad geometry, so your given steps are a great help.
In fact it is on a RAID 1, so your Idea with keeping one disc as backup is brilliant!

If I ever do it, i can report back here, if it is okay to dig up old threads, because this would probably be in a couple of month/years.

Thank you once again!