Western Digital 1TB External Drive

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
phantaxtic

Western Digital 1TB External Drive

#1 Post by phantaxtic »

The usb hub on the chipset that supplied the external hard drive with power and data broke off.
I removed the drive from the plastic case and installed it directly (and correctly)in the computer.
I have checked and double checked the cable connections. It is all correct.

The drive would not show in explorer. After running chkdsk the drive appeared as Unallocated.
I ran Testdisk several times, quick and deep scans to find no partition on the drive.
I was able to recover some RAW data from the drive with PhotoRec but the data was a mess and unusable. It recovered a 3 gig .dad file that i have no idea how to access or if its of any value?

Ive used just about every partition recovery tool I could find to no avail. I need this Data back, there are pictures of my daughter that I cannot replace.

Any advice would be great!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Western Digital 1TB External Drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you run PhotoRec, in Options, enable the expert mode, start a recovery, use a blocksize of 512 byte, use the default option otherwise. Does PhotoRec recover your jpg ?

phantaxtic

#3 Post by phantaxtic »

I ran the test as you directed.

Several photos were found but none of them can open. It was still maybe 10% of the number of photos I wish to recover.

There are also large files with .dad file extension being located that I do not and did not have on the hard drive.

any suggestions?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec checks all the jpg it write, so they should be readable (unless you have enable the option "keep corrupted files"). As PhotoRec saves the files using an administrator account, you may have to take ownership of the files.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec ... _files_.21

You can disable DAD file format in FileOpts.