WD5001ABYS 500GB harddisk problem

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mhchoi

WD5001ABYS 500GB harddisk problem

#1 Post by mhchoi »

Dear all,

My 500GB desktop SATA harddisk got problem recently. It cannot be booted up. I have tried some scenarios below. Please see if anyone can share with me some experience or give me some advice.

1. Bios can detect the disk name but cannot show the disk information, such as disk size, chs, etc
2. When tried to boot up the dekstop, it shows kind of 'no system disk'
3. When tried to boot up the dekstop by using CD-ROM with the SATA disk connected, it is failed with core dump ('blue screen'). If disconnected, the desktop can be booted from CD-ROM
4. I have tried to replace another SATA disk. Installed the windows XP, without the problematic disk, it can be booted up successfully. But if it is being connected, it will be failed with core dump again. Even when it is connected, disabled the corresponding SATA channel in bios, the bios boot up message did not show it appeared, it will be still failed with core dump.
5. I have also tried to use an adapter for SATA to USB. A device can be shown in device manager but without any volume information found.
6. I tried to use testdisk. It will detect the size as 11777 TB !!. Anyway, still tried 'Analyse", all read error. Then, tried to adjust the geometry to 500GB, it will be the same with all read error. In addition, even after analysed through 100%, it will proceed further over 100% without stopping. Tried 'Deep Search', it is the same.

Questions:
1. is there any other option or action in testdisk can try or help?
2. Do you think it should be related to the harddisk PCB issue?

Please advise and help.

Thank you very much.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: WD5001ABYS 500GB harddisk problem

#2 Post by cgrenier »

It may be an electronic problem or a corruption of the service tracks. You should contact a data recovery company.
Software will not be able to help.

mhchoi

Re: WD5001ABYS 500GB harddisk problem

#3 Post by mhchoi »

Dear site admin,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Do you think if it is worth to replace the PCB of the hard drive for a trial?

Thanks.