TesatDsk Seems stuck

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
YashBlade

TesatDsk Seems stuck

#1 Post by YashBlade »

Evening.

For the last few days, I have been using TestDsk to recover files from a bad HD. All was going well, till today. It appears to be stuck at a certain number. In this case "Copying. please wait...1314 ok. 0 failed". It has been on "1314" since this morning. It's now 10pm. Should I stop the software, then restart, from where it left off? I checked the Drive where I am copying everything to, and all seems OK.

Any help would be appreciated.

europanorama

Re: TesatDsk Seems stuck

#2 Post by europanorama »

TesatDsk??????

YashBlade

#3 Post by YashBlade »

Hmmmm. A typo. So sorry. But I'm sure you could figure out what I meant. That being said, it finally moved. So no worries. It was just taking it's time. But Hey, Thank You SO much for your help. :roll:

europanorama

Re: Testdisk seems stuck-Knoppix LIVE DVD is easier/quicker

#4 Post by europanorama »

Save your data by using KNOPPIX Live DVD. You should see them in filemanager. use mouse and new drive to backup.
its much easier and quicker than with testdisk.
yes not i all cases this is the right way. I would first try it this way.
Yes one could also first try to display the files in testdisk. just it takes longer and much longer to backup.
let alone with photorec. yes if anything else fails photorec could be the solution.

YashBlade

#5 Post by YashBlade »

Thank You. MUCH more helpful. I agree, while TestDisk is reliable and I have had great success with it, the drawback is speed. I will give your suggestion a try.

Thanks again

And Sorry for my previous remark. I was a bit frustrated, and I guess I took it out on you, Again, Thanks,

europanorama

#6 Post by europanorama »

No problem. Sometimes i am not polite enough....
Would be nice to read an echo about knoppix. btw: i have a thread about it and this fabulous tip also comes from withing a message here.
never try to repair on an original drive. backup using knoppix is no problem. i did it. will now try to backup the copy....
always first make a duplicate using clonezilla.