Accidental Formatting of partition

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
IronD

Accidental Formatting of partition

#1 Post by IronD »

Hello,

So to make this story as short as possible:

Have MacBook Pro. Installed Windows 7 through bootcamp. Recently had to format an external drive, was not paying attention, quick formatted my Mac_HD partition by mistake with FAT32 (possibly 2-3 times because I kept getting an error when trying to do so, was not paying attention but basically it kept telling me I could not partition the drive). I realized this and immediately restarted my machine, can no longer successfully boot to Windows 7. Took external HDD and installed OSX on it, am now running test disk deeper search, which seems like it will take hours.

Questions:

After what I did, can I recover the Mac HD partition?

If not, can I at least make Windows 7 work again?

I was unable to figure out for certain if the partition that looks like the Mac partition is actually the right one(would look inside but could not find any of the files or it would tell me something was wrong with the filesystem. Can deeper search find something else really?

Thanks for any and all help.

IronD

IronD

Re: Accidental Formatting of partition

#2 Post by IronD »

Some extra information:

I can see all files in the windows/bootcamp partition. Don't know if there is a way to recover the partition but I can definitely get the files.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#3 Post by cgrenier »

If you set the partition to recover as P(rimary) or L(ogical) and on next screen, choose to write the partition table, you should be able to access the file via the Mac OS X Finder or Window File Explorer (but not maybe not able to boot).

IronD

#4 Post by IronD »

Here is the full partition list after a deeper search, I could not link as images since they were too big and you can't see the drive names. Is there anything else aside from the backing up I have done that I can do about this?

http://imgur.com/a/eVcgI