Recovering images from a flashed microSD

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Syrio

Recovering images from a flashed microSD

#1 Post by Syrio »

Hello. My phone was remotely flashed when I misplaced it. When returned to me, I tried to use a variety of programs to recover my photos with variable success, photorec being the latest. I was able to recover some using ZAR which did a somewhat decent job of restoring the more recent files. Paid apps did only marginally better according to previews, restoring just a few more photos over ZAR. I was curious to see how well photorec would do in comparison but when I attempted recovery I was unable to view any of the restored jpg files, all being declared corrupt. What am I missing?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering images from a flashed microSD

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Syrio

#3 Post by Syrio »

I have ownership by default, apparently. What settings would you recommend to search for images? I searched using brute force on, undelete and yes corrupted files.

Also, if anyone has any experience with this, what's the general opinion of the usefulness of professional recovery services? I am highly motivated to recover what photos/videos I can of my recently deceased pet.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec checks all jpg it recovers, so all files saved with a name like f*.jpg should be ok...