Urgent - help needed please.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
victorsk

Urgent - help needed please.

#1 Post by victorsk »

Good day everyone,

I very much need help because I seem to have lost my data from my work. Please see attached snapshot. It says "unallocated" where my Gentoo partitions used to be. It happened like this: I needed to upgrade Windows to SP1. To install SP1 I had to set windows partition as "active" using "make this active volume" option in windows control panel. After that my Gentoo partition vanished. All I see is "unallocated" in gparted.

I downloaded testdisk-7.0 and ran linux version of "quick search" in my other Linux installation (on the same disk) but I do not see my Gentoo partitions there. Again, I attached snapshot of my gparted screen and where it says "unallocated" space there should be my Gentoo partitions. Is there any way for me to recover my Gentoo partitions using testdisk? If so, please help me with it. It's my first time using testdisk. I've read testdisk documentation examples but am still lost on what to do. Please help.

Thank you,
Victor.
Attachments
snap1.png
snap1.png (66.45 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

Fiona

Re: Urgent - help needed please.

#2 Post by Fiona »

Can you run a testdisk diagnose, running Analyse / Quick Search and if your gentoo partition is not found, Deeper Search also?
If your partition would be found, please select it and press p to have a try to list your files.
Can you copy and paste the content of your testdisk.log into your next post?