PhotoRec resume memory problem

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
MartinC47

PhotoRec resume memory problem

#1 Post by MartinC47 »

The memory problem is mine. I don't recall what I did at the time...

In April 2014 I accidentally re-installed windows 7 on a spare PC before backing up the documents folder which contained zillions of files. I had repartitioned the disk. So I downloaded and started using PhotoRec to recover the files and left it running for probably 20-30 days. As I recall the few times I had to shutdown the PC during that period PhotoRec was able to resume.

In May 2014 I had to move my residence in a hurry and I had to shutdown the PC for an extended period. I am just getting back to trying to pick up where I left off. Of course I didn't document what I had been doing and I really don't remember.

So I have a few questions :

1) I see a file called PhotoRec.cfg in the c: drive. Should I find any other configuration files? Will that file tell PhotoRec to resume?
2) Should I be using the same version of PhotoRec or will the latest version be OK?
3) Is there an easy way for me to determine what disk to select?
4) At what point does PhotoRec realize it is supposed to resume a recovery in progress? I don't want it to start over at the beginning.

Thanks for your help.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: PhotoRec resume memory problem

#2 Post by cgrenier »

photorec.ses is used to resume the recovery.
You can use the same version or a more recent version of PhotoRec.
The device name is stored at the beginning of the photorec.ses. If you have added or removed disk, you may have to edit this file with a text editor (wordpad or notepad++). Always keep a backup.
PhotoRec will asky ou if you want to resume the recovery if the photorec.ses file file is present at startup.

MartinC47

Re: PhotoRec resume memory problem

#3 Post by MartinC47 »

Thank you!

I found photorec.ses and ran photorec from the same directory. Recovery has resumed where it left off last year.
(And now I remember as well)

:D