Heavy duty on primary disk when recovering on external drive

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
dpbe

Heavy duty on primary disk when recovering on external drive

#1 Post by dpbe »

On my 2 TB the NTFS partition became "RAW", so now I am trying to recover the MFT. It takes a very long time. Strange thing is that the primary harddisk is very busy (noisy, reading, writing) although the recovery takes place on an external drive. Is this normal? What is it doing?
I definitely chose the right partition to recover. There is no other 2 TB drive on my system.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Heavy duty on primary disk when recovering on external d

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you have choose to rebuild the NTFS boot sector, TestDisk will search for the MFT location.
Read errors are recorded in testdisk.log file, they mau be the cause of the activity on the primary disk.
Do you seea growing testdisk.log file and/or error message displayed on the screen ?

dpbe

#3 Post by dpbe »

Thanks for your fast reply!
The log file is not growing. It's about 4 kb. There are some error messages, but these were generated during the initial scan of the MBR and MFT. There are no further messages on the screen or in the file.

JoftheJClan

#4 Post by JoftheJClan »

cgrenier wrote:If you have choose to rebuild the NTFS boot sector, TestDisk will search for the MFT location.
Read errors are recorded in testdisk.log file, they mau be the cause of the activity on the primary disk.
Do you see a growing testdisk.log file and/or error message displayed on the screen ?
Found this while looking for help with my problem. Hope it's okay to respond here?

I had to quit analysing the disk that I am having trouble with because every sector had a read error, the log file was already 336Gb in size(!!!) and my system disk was giving warnings of potential errors because of getting VERY full! (I didn't know it was the log file at first but I figured it must be related to what testdisk was doing.)

The problem is a WD Green 2TB external HDD that suddenly stopped being recognised by anything (Windows Explorer or Windows Disk Management, TestDisk etc.) I've plugged it in via a different dock and now Disk Management sees the major partition but where the file system information should be (at the front of the drive) is showing as unallocated space.

It takes hours for Disk Management AND Testdisk to show the volumes attached to the computer (1x 1TB RAID System Disk, 1x 1.5TB Ext Archive Drive, 1x 2TB Ext Data Drive and the 2TB Backup Drive that I am having problems with) so I can't give you screen shots right now as I refreshed Disk Management after deleting the TestDisk Log file so that my computer wouldn't crash due to lack of space, and restarting TestDisk (downloaded the latest version today just in case it made a difference but it hasn't)

In the meantime can you give me an idea of what I can try, if anything, that won't take days and fill up my system disk with 100's of GB of Log file please?