Fixing Samsung D3 Station RAW

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
archimess

Fixing Samsung D3 Station RAW

#1 Post by archimess »

Hello everybody,

I have a D3 2TB external hdd and my drive just went raw.
I'm running Windows 10.
I've tried fixing it with the step by step tutorial, but had no luck.
I have some very important files on this drive and I'm not currently in position to make a recovery of it, since I can't find that much available space.

The anomaly I'm seeing, while following the tutorial is that: while I'm seeing two partitions from the quick search (both are under "d"), with the first one I can't even list any files. It says that "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged".
On the second one, I can list the files and I'm seeing all of my folders that are on the drive. So, I'm setting that one as "primary" and continue onward.
I go to "write" partition table and there, unlike in the tutorial, right of the bat, the status on the boot sector and the backup boot sector is "ok" and it says that the "sectors are identical. A valid NTFS boot sector must be present in order to access any data, even if the partition is not bootable". I can't make a "backup BS", so I just quit and reboot my PC.
Even after the reboot, I can't access my files.

Please help me.
I have very important files there for my Master thesis. Large 3ds Max files, that I'm working with and can't constantly make backups.
Thank you.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Fixing Samsung D3 Station RAW

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try PhotoRec on this partition. It should be able to recover your files (but without the original filenames).

archimess

Re: Fixing Samsung D3 Station RAW

#3 Post by archimess »

cgrenier wrote:Try PhotoRec on this partition. It should be able to recover your files (but without the original filenames).
Thank you for your response.

Is there any other way? As I said, I cant find the required space to make a recovery.