Duplicate Files Recovered - Help!

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Joeluca

Duplicate Files Recovered - Help!

#1 Post by Joeluca »

Hi,

First, really love this software. Thank you for the time putting it together and making it available,

Next, I'm trying to recover from a big bonehead move. I use a Synology NAS drive which uses the ext4 format. I have two drives to try and recover from since they were set up as RAID 1. While in the root, I accidentally deleted the Folder where about 800GB of family photos were.

Using a USB docking station and one of the 4TB HDD's connected to my PC, I've run your software several times with different results. The first 3-4 kept crapping out on me for some reason and I had to start over. Last night, after about a 30 hour scan (only searching for JPG) I was excited to see that there were about 565K photos save to an external USB hard drive. Sadly, when I looked at them, the first 140K photos or so we're all good to go. The remaining 400K photos are all Exactly the same.

I'd like to continue to make a run at recovery here but I'm not sure if I should do something different or expect different results. Is it the software that got hung up or is it possible the drive somehow repeats the photo? Would it be on the other drive also? Should I shift away from the USB HDD Docking station and directly attach to the PC for better results? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you again.

Joe

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate Files Recovered - Help!

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If your disks were setup as Raid 1 (mirroring), you need need to recover from one of them.
Have you been careful to not store the recovered files on the source disk ?

Joeluca

#3 Post by Joeluca »

Since I only deleted a folder from the root,, both drives actually work fine and are exact copies of each other. I've used the software to recover the pictures back from both with varying success. Not sure why I would get 400K copies of the same picture is really the question. Is that a bug in the software or is it something else? For what it's worth, drives were unplugged immediately after my mistake and have not had new data written to them. Thanks in advance,

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

I can not rule out a bug but the most common cause is when a user choose to write the recovered files on the source disk.
Can you try latest PhotoRec 7.1-WIP and tell us if you have the same problem ?