Unallocated, non initialized, external hard disk Drive fix

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
banim

Unallocated, non initialized, external hard disk Drive fix

#1 Post by banim »

I have a 1TB Buffalo external hard disk with power adapter. it was not partitioned (I mean it had only one drive Drive: I with 931 GB volume). Yesterday while using the laptop i forcefully removed the usb cable and after that the hard disk drive did not appear on my computer. Then I went to disk management and saw that it is unallocated, not initialized. But when i try to initialize MBR it says cyclic redundancy error. Then I chose the GP... option to initialize. Then it shows online. But it does not appear on My computer. How to fix it. Any Help would be much appreciated. I am a novice user :( so please help.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Unallocated, non initialized, external hard disk Drive f

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If the disk presents some cyclic redundancy errors (CRC errors), you need to replace it by a new one.
If there are some data to recover, you can always try PhotoRec (after selecting the partition, choose [Whole], not [Free]).

banim

Re: Unallocated, non initialized, external hard disk Drive f

#3 Post by banim »

Thank you for a fast reply.
Yes the disk showed cyclic redundancy error.
I used Testdisk but after analyse when i tried to proceed and write to the disk. It showed "Write Error"
So in my case, Testdisk can not help me to reuse the disk?
Is it possible to format the disk and use it again? If I somehow format it, can photorec help me to recover the data (The free or the paid version).
Thank you again in advance :)