2TB Seagate Hard Drive - missing ext2 partition + errors

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
GoodInfo

2TB Seagate Hard Drive - missing ext2 partition + errors

#1 Post by GoodInfo »

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. I have already used TestDisk and GNU ddrescue to successfully rescue two hard drives that were dying from my NASlite-M2 x64 system. One of the Hard Drives was a 120 GB EIDE HD that lasted for 12 years!

I am having an issue with a 2TB Seagate HD that appears under Terminal (I am using Elementary Freya Linux, a variant on Ubuntu) but is unable to mount, or properly allow a run through of TestDisk and allow me to view files.

Background info - The 2TB HD was in NASlite-M2 server which formats the HD's using the ext2 format. It was working perfectly and had 1.9TB of data on it, and then one day it stopped mounting :(

In Elementary this device ('/dev') is /dev/sdc. I ran TestDisk and had the following errors (see attached screen shots):

I then got an error about partition sector not having an "endmark of 0xAA55" (see image below):

Using the "fdisk -l" command in terminal, I get the following breakdown, and again it is /dev/sdc (see image):

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out what happened, and what to do next. I patiently look forward to any and all help that I receive, and will do my best to report back all of my experiences with a resolution.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: 2TB Seagate Hard Drive - missing ext2 partition + errors

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you use TestDisk 7.1-WIP (not 6.14) on this disk and post the new results ?

GoodInfo

#3 Post by GoodInfo »

Hi cgrenier,

Thank you for your reply. I would love to do that, but I am hitting a wall with upgrading to version 7.1. I have uninstalled test disk via terminal, and attempted to download the latest version, but it only gave me version 6.14 again.

I then went to download a tar.bz2 file, but it will not allow me to install. Appears to be missing the installation information, or I am not familiar with it.

From what I gathered the typical install from a tar.bz2 file after uncompressing it should be along the lines of:

./configure
make
sudo make install

If you could point me in the right direction, I can do the reading to figure out where I went wrong, or what I am missing for the upgrade/updating of test disk.

Thank you.

GoodInfo

#4 Post by GoodInfo »

I believe I figured out how to run testdisk 7.1 following the wiki, but there doesn't appear to be a way to install the tar.bz2 file. Is that correct, or is there a way to install 7.1 in to the system without having to go to the directory that contains the files, and then run the command by just typing 'testdisk' in terminal?

Cheers and thank you :)