Laptop Drive is corrupted

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ragebkd

Laptop Drive is corrupted

#1 Post by ragebkd »

Hello All,

Looking for some assistance here and would appreciate the help. I have a laptop that seems to have a corrupted drive. Ran a hard drive short self test and it passed but I cannot access the data. First time I plugged it in it asked me to format the drive. I came across TestDisk when doing some searching and I ran it and was able to find all of the partitions and wrote the partition structure on the disk and restarted. Since then I can now see/access all of my recovery partitions but unfortunately my main partition is still not readable. ("The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable") message.

What should I do next? I have also tried hooking it up to an ubuntu machine and it could not see the main partition as well.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Laptop Drive is corrupted

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, Advanced, select the damaged partition, List. Can you files your files ?
It it works, you can copy them.
You can also run "cmd" (right click run as administrator) and use "chkdsk /f d:" (replace d: by the correct drive letter).

ragebkd

Re: Laptop Drive is corrupted

#3 Post by ragebkd »

cgrenier wrote:Run TestDisk, Advanced, select the damaged partition, List. Can you files your files ?
It it works, you can copy them.
You can also run "cmd" (right click run as administrator) and use "chkdsk /f d:" (replace d: by the correct drive letter).

Hello,

I cannot view the files on that partition but I can see them on others. I also cannot run chkdsk :(