Seagate BackupPlus 4TB Partition Recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
GreasedPig

Seagate BackupPlus 4TB Partition Recovery

#1 Post by GreasedPig »

Hello forum. Can anyone assist in helping recovering my 4 TB external Seagate Backup Plus drive? The story goes something like this...

Around a year ago, I backed up 3.6 terabytes of my data to my External 4 TB Seagate BackupPlus Drive. Shortly there-after a few months had gone by, I plugged the drives USB 3.0 cable into my PC and attached the external power supply in order to retrieve some of that data. I was introduced to a window that says My drive needs to be formatted. OOPS, I said ok before I realized I should not have done that. Since then I stashed the drive away until now. Nothing has been written to the drive except for some subsequent formatting attempts and messing around with it in LINUX using gparted in an attempt to recover the partition. I am not illiterate to hard drive technology, but I am in no way experienced in the math and figuring out the geometry and specs in order to achieve a successful recovery. I would really like to recover the partition if possible. Test disk results are as follows:

The windows version of Testdisk X64 ran for 6 1/2 days on my drive and produced 10 pages of the attached results
Screen 1
Screen 1
screen 1.jpg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
and
Screen 10
Screen 10
screen 10.jpg (119.84 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
. I have included only the 1st screen shot and the last screen shot for respect of the forum and it may just be un-necessary.

I am concerned about going to the next screen after all the time that it took to produce these results. I will also include the log file of the scan. Any thoughts, ideas, or assistance would be greatly appreciated and I hope to learn something. Maybe this thread can assist others that have the same problem with this same Seagate drive.

Thank You,

Greased piggy

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Seagate BackupPlus 4TB Partition Recovery

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk on the physicaldrive, not on E:. In Advanced, select the partition, choose Boot, RebuildBS, List.
If you see your files, choose Write and confirm.
If you don't, try PhotoRec. Note that you will need 4 TB to store the recovered files and they will not have their original names.

GreasedPig

#3 Post by GreasedPig »

Thank You. I will try that and update this thread on my results.

GreasedPig

#4 Post by GreasedPig »

I have yet to complete the task....I need a second drive. Sigh....